3D Designer - Retail
The Creative Hub works at a very fast pace without the usual project timelines. This is particularly the case in retail, where projects require quick turnaround of ideas, often from a single meeting or conversation. We seldom receive technical or precise briefs. As such it is a much more agile approach for the Designer to be the person who is across the entire project from start to finish.
Home to our global Research, Design and Development centre and all of our Commercial functions, Dyson HQ is tucked away in countryside famous for the railway tunnels and bridges of Isambard Brunel, who revolutionised modern engineering. Our secluded location helps us to protect our ideas and stay independent-minded. Yet nearby are the fashionable cities of Bristol and Bath (where a young James Dyson invented cyclone technology). The building is the heartbeat of Dyson. Nearly 2,000 people, including James himself, spend their days strategizing, inventing technology and telling the Dyson story to the world. Last year our HQ doubled its footprint with an ambitious new expansion and phase 1 of the Hullavington development is nearing completion...
GB is still Europe’s largest market, with the smaller Northern Europe markets growing rapidly alongside. The retail landscape in Northern Europe reflects Dyson’s product – technology focused and engineering concepts at the heart. Dyson is committed to building its in-store presence to that of an expanding and leading technology brand. The Creative Hub is a multi-disciplined team that creates and shapes a wide range of point-of-sale and retail display fixtures. The rapid growth of our direct retail business has given the opportunity to design and deliver a Dyson shopper journey and translate our retail concepts in to our third party retailers. Our aim is to create inspired and highly differentiated consumer experiences that amplify the pioneering technology we make.
- Deliver presentations for retailers containing visuals, specs and full technical drawing packs including bill of materials.
- Actively participate in brainstorming and briefing sessions.
- Assembly / disassembly / user instructions for displays.
- Ability to produce and manage specifications and technical packs, liaise with suppliers, freelancers and agencies.
- Conceptual thinking whilst delivering commercially viable solutions.
- Store visits to research general store environments / fixtures / competitors.
- Work with Group Retail Designers, Creatives and Retail Project Managers to take concepts to manufacture or design intent.
- Work with Retail Project Manager and Creatives to ensure concept visuals contain the latest instore graphics and communications.
- Liaise with the Head of Creative in Group Retail, so that displays incorporate the latest instore design thinking.
- Design degree.
- 3 years + POS and / or retail design experience.
- Experienced user of 3D CAD (Solidworks is essential, ideally Sketch Up).
- Experienced user of 3D visualisation software (Photoworks, Photoview 360, 3DS max etc).
- Experience of Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, and InDesign.
- Freehand sketching.
- Understanding of graphic design and instore communication.
- Working knowledge of model making/prototyping, materials and production processes.
- Cardboard engineering experience is desirable.
- 27 days holiday plus eight statutory bank holidays
- Pension scheme
- Performance related bonus
- Life assurance
- Sports centre Free on-site parking
- Lift share scheme
- Subsidised café and restaurants
- Discount on Dyson machines