3D Designer - Retail
£Competitive + 6% Bonus (Pension, Health Care Plan, Free On-Site Gym)
The Creative Hub works at a very fast pace without the usual project timelines. This is particularly the case in retail, where projects require quick turnaround of ideas, often from a single meeting or conversation. We seldom receive technical or precise briefs. As such it is a much more agile approach for the Designer to be the person who is across the entire project from start to finish. Project management will support the role as required, but critical element of the role is having a Designer with strong commercial acumen to develop projects with stakeholders and get them off the ground quickly. Projects will vary from low cost, high volume Free Standing Display Units, to major roll-out retailer specific merchandising systems, NPD launches and one-off store specific installations. Liasing closely with suppliers and retail is a core part of the role, ensuring that briefs are quickly taken through to action. This role will require strong 3D design and communication skills to draw insight and action from stakeholders to enable the retail design to react at pace to the commercial requirements, as well as pro-actively shaping future activity. With our ambitious growth plans we need people who can grow at pace with us. This role will be based in Malmesbury however travel across Northern Europe will be required on a regular basis and potentially at short notice.
Home to our global Research, Design and Development centre and all of our Commercial functions, Dyson HQ is tucked away in countryside famous for the railway tunnels and bridges of Isambard Brunel, who revolutionised modern engineering. Our secluded location helps us to protect our ideas and stay independent-minded. Yet nearby are the fashionable cities of Bristol and Bath (where a young James Dyson invented cyclone technology).
GB is still Europe’s largest market, with the smaller Northern Europe markets growing rapidly alongside. The retail landscape in Northern Europe reflects Dyson’s product – technology focused and engineering concepts at the heart. Dyson is committed to building its in-store presence to that of an expanding and leading technology brand. The Creative Hub is a multi-disciplined team that creates and shapes a wide range of point-of-sale and retail display fixtures. The rapid growth of our direct retail business has given the opportunity to design and deliver a Dyson shopper journey and translate our retail concepts in to our third party retailers. Our aim is to create inspired and highly differentiated consumer experiences that amplify the pioneering technology we make.
• Deliver presentations for retailers containing visuals, specs and full technical drawing packs including bill of materials.
• Actively participate in brainstorming and briefing sessions.
• Assembly / disassembly / user instructions for displays.
• Ability to produce and manage specifications and technical packs, liaise with suppliers, freelancers and agencies.
• Conceptual thinking whilst delivering commercially viable solutions.
• Store visits to research general store environments / fixtures / competitors.
• Work with Group Retail Designers, Creatives and Retail Project Managers to take concepts to manufacture or design intent.
• Work with Retail Project Manager and Creatives to ensure concept visuals contain the latest instore graphics and communications.
• Liaise with the Head of Creative in Group Retail, so that displays incorporate the latest instore design thinking.
• Design degree.
• 3 years + POS and / or retail design experience.
• Experienced user of 3D CAD (Solidworks is essential, ideally Sketch Up).
• Experienced user of 3D visualisation software (Photoworks, Photoview 360, 3DS max etc).
• Experience of Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, and InDesign.
• Freehand sketching.
• Understanding of graphic design and instore communication.
• Working knowledge of model making/prototyping, materials and production processes.
• Cardboard engineering experience is desirable.
• Not afraid of challenges and has the passion to make things happen
• Strong project management; experience of delivering large, complex projects
• Dynamic thinker with ability to overcome problems, providing solutions
• Drive for results; passion and focus to deliver on time and in full
• Strong commercial acumen
• A great relationship builder with internal teams and external partners
• Strong listening and questioning ability
• Ability to influence key decision makers
Dyson monitors the market to ensure competitive salaries and pension contributions. Beyond that, you’ll also enjoy a profit-related bonus, generous leave and life insurance. But financial benefits are only the start of a Dyson career. Rapid professional growth, leadership development and new opportunities abound, driven by regular reviews and dynamic workshops. And with a vibrant culture and a relaxed dress code reflecting our engineering spirit, it’s an exciting team environment geared to creativity, innovation and ambition.