Electronics Hardware Team Lead
The electronics team is organised in a matrix structure and the main duties of this role are based in the electronics hardware team. Members of this team, along with members from the software and systems teams, are deployed across the project areas to perform the various hardware biased tasks in those areas.
The main duties for this role are:
1. Line Management of a growing team of hardware biased electronics engineers. This team is expected to grow to around 10 engineers by the end of 2017 and continue to grow in 2018. Line management duties will include :
a.Holding regular 1:1s with team members to monitor their job satisfaction identify opportunities for their development and set on-going objectives based on project needs.
b.Contribute to the end of year review process, reporting on and assessing the performance of your team members against the Dyson career framework.
c.Manage day to day issues of line reports, for example absence and holiday approvals etc.
2.Project and Resource management:
a.Working closely with the technical project manager (TPM) and the principal electronics hardware engineer you will be expected to manage the deployment of your team, within the various project areas, to complete the hardware biased tasks required.
b.Work with the TPM to agree the electronics hardware tasks and how they integrate into the high level project plan. Monitor and assess your team member’s progress against this plan to ensure tasks are completed on time and to quality.
c.Working closely with the principal electronics hardware engineer you will plan and execute design reviews as required by the project and hardware development process.
3.Recruitment will be an important part of this role in 2017 and beyond as the team grows. This duty will include identifying the gaps in our team’s capabilities and defining job descriptions to recruit new members with appropriate skills.
1.2 Secondary Duties
At least initially, it is not expected that the main duties will occupy you full time and so there are a number of secondary tasks which the successful candidate could perform to augment the main duties. No candidate is expected to be capable in all areas, but relevant experience in one or more would benefit the applicant.
1.Electronics hardware design. This could be either detailed design experience or experience of electronic system design and “unit” specification.
2.Supplier engagement, contracting and management. In 2017 this project needs to engage with a number of suppliers so experience of the technical aspects of RFI/RFQ and initial contract process would be beneficial.
3.Electronics process development. This project is a significant challenge for Dyson in a new application domain. Processes need to be developed which are appropriate for this new domain and there is opportunity to help with this. Prior experience of processes for requirements engineering, design capturing, configuration management, verification and validation and safety related aspects would be beneficial.
4.Software tool evaluation and configuration. A number of software tools are being evaluated to aid the engineering and project management of the tasks. Knowledge of relevant tools, how to evaluate them and an ability to define their configuration for consistent use would be useful.
- Degree level qualification in an electronics engineering subject
- A proven record of continued personal development in all areas of the workplace. Chartered status would help provide such evidence.
- Several years experience of detailed electronics hardware specification, design, verification and qualification.
- Several years experience of playing a lead role in a team of engineers and managers.
- Experience of project management
- Experience of line management
- Experience of delivering electronics hardware to a high quality processes. This could include, for example, experience of working in the medical, automotive or aerospace industries.
- Experience and knowledge of working within a quality management systems such as ISO9001 or equivalent.
- Experience of technical management of suppliers, including auditing