Principal Software Architect
At Dyson we are encouraged to think differently, challenge convention and be unafraid to make mistakes. We’re creative, collaborative, practical and enthusiastic. But most of all we’re hugely passionate about what we do.
Home to our global Research, Design and Development centre and all of our Commercial functions, Dyson HQ is tucked away in countryside famous for the railway tunnels and bridges of Isambard Brunel, who revolutionised modern engineering. Our secluded location helps us to protect our ideas and stay independent-minded. Yet nearby are the fashionable cities of Bristol and Bath (where a young James Dyson invented cyclone technology). The building is the heartbeat of Dyson. Over 1,500 people, including James himself, spend their days strategizing, inventing technology and telling the Dyson story to the world. From 2016, our HQ will begin doubling its footprint with an ambitious new expansion.
When you invent something, the right technology often doesn’t exist to make it work. So we make our own. From advanced systems, components and power supplies to building a digital motor from scratch, Dyson electronics engineers have enabled our ideas to become reality. As our future products rely more on robotics, connectivity, and complex sensing and navigation technologies, our high speed electronics will stand us apart. From designing the hardware to the systems, that make Dyson machines as reliable as they are intelligent, our electronics engineers are central to our most pioneering RDD.
- Responsible for the definition of software architecture
- Benchmarking of different software architectures currently in use
- Requirements capture
- Define and capture Key System Software Attributes
- Define the software system architecture (topology, modularity, software protocols, dictionary, messages) for an highly distribute system
- Security of the architecture against physical and remote threats
- Maintain the architecture through the product life cycle
- Coordinate with all other departments
- Support and drive system integration
- Work closely with the EDS, System, HW and Control teams
- Responsible for selection and management of external suppliers
- Degree is an engineering or scientific discipline
- Significant work experience in the field
- Knowledge of relevant CAD tools for capturing requirements, software architecture definition / simulation
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- Good understanding of quality systems and six sigma processes
- Ability to work independently and produce results as well as within a team and also have the capability to lead multifunctional teams of engineers
- Self-starter and highly motivated
Dyson monitors the market to ensure competitive salaries and pension contributions. Beyond that, you’ll also enjoy a profit-related bonus, very generous leave, income protection, and private medical and dental care (level dependent). But financial benefits are only the start of a Dyson career. Rapid professional growth, leadership development and new opportunities abound, driven by regular reviews and dynamic workshops. And with a vibrant culture, flexible working hours, the latest devices and a relaxed dress code reflecting our engineering spirit, it’s an exciting team environment geared to creativity, innovation and ambition