Senior Electronics Hardware Engineer
At Dyson we are encouraged to think differently, challenge convention and be unafraid to make mistakes. We’re creative, collaborative, practical and enthusiastic. But most of all we’re hugely passionate about what we do.
Home to our global Research, Design and Development centre and all of our Commercial functions, Dyson HQ is tucked away in countryside famous for the railway tunnels and bridges of Isambard Brunel, who revolutionised modern engineering. Our secluded location helps us to protect our ideas and stay independent-minded. Yet nearby are the fashionable cities of Bristol and Bath (where a young James Dyson invented cyclone technology). The building is the heartbeat of Dyson. Over 1,500 people, including James himself, spend their days strategizing, inventing technology and telling the Dyson story to the world. From 2016, our HQ will begin doubling its footprint with an ambitious new expansion.
When you invent something, the right technology often doesn’t exist to make it work. So we make our own. From advanced systems, components and power supplies to building a digital motor from scratch, Dyson electronics engineers have enabled our ideas to become reality. As our future products rely more on robotics, connectivity, and complex sensing and navigation technologies, our high speed electronics will stand us apart. From designing the hardware to the systems, that make Dyson machines as reliable as they are intelligent, our electronics engineers are central to our most pioneering RDD.
- Proven track records of designing, building and testing real time electronics system from concept to production
- Proven track records of developing electronics prototypes
- Documentation light but solid hand on experience
- Analogue electronics, digital electronics, power electronics, wireless, assembler and C, soldering and testing
- Can always find the right part in the right catalogue and if the part doesn’t exist then design things from first principle
- Excellent communicator
- Able to work in a dynamic and fast pacing environments with a Can Do attitude (no challenge is too difficult)
- Hands on
- Able to lead a small team of engineers and specialists
- Start-up mentality, dynamic, independent
- Perform some project management and task prioritisation activities to support the project manager.
- Ability to select and work with suppliers.
- Organize and run technical gate reviews
- At least Degree level qualification in an Electronic Engineering Discipline.
- Possibly a Chartered Engineer.
- 5-10 years experience of designing electronics hardware
- Significant experience of writing software, with a preference for embedded software/firmware.
- Some experience/appreciation of mechanical engineering design.
- An understanding of Robust Design methods.
- A desire to be hands-on when needed combined with an ability to step back when appropriate.
- Experience of technically leading small team.
- Some project management experience.
- Significant experience/appreciation of quality and process assurance.
- Good communication and motivation skills.
- Some experience in mentoring and coaching.
Dyson monitors the market to ensure competitive salaries and pension contributions. Beyond that, you’ll also enjoy a profit-related bonus, very generous leave, income protection, and private medical and dental care (level dependent). But financial benefits are only the start of a Dyson career. Rapid professional growth, leadership development and new opportunities abound, driven by regular reviews and dynamic workshops. And with a vibrant culture, flexible working hours, the latest devices and a relaxed dress code reflecting our engineering spirit, it’s an exciting team environment geared to creativity, innovation and ambition