Accessories Product Developer
Working in parallel with the product development team – the candidate will be responsible for the end to-end development of Dyson Personal Care accessories (bags, sleeves, pouches and cases).
At Dyson we are encouraged to think differently, challenge convention and be unafraid to make mistakes. We’re creative, collaborative, practical and enthusiastic. But most of all we’re hugely passionate about what we do. Dyson offers a unique opportunity for talented individuals who wish to invent, design and develop leading products for the global market. By working in our world class Research Design and Development department, these individuals have the opportunity to work alongside leading technical specialists and highly motivated creative people, to produce products which fulfill our ambition of being truly different and better than our competitors. Our Mechanical Engineers are responsible for producing innovative powertrain concepts and detailed designs that push the limits of technology. Working in a team alongside Design Managers you are encouraged to be thoroughly hands on when developing products from inception through to manufacture.
- Create and maintain briefing documentation to communicate design, specification and supplier responsibilities of all accessories in category. Ownership and responsibility of creating, maintaining and securing sign off of accessories specification on PLM system.
- Identify and create testing procedures to ensure products meet the high demands of use that will be placed on them. Track and maintain test reports throughout the development process.
- Regular communication with both internal teams (Procurement, Commercial, Operations, Quality both UK and SEA based) and external partners (agents & suppliers / factories) to quickly clarify sampling needs, Quality standards and development process.
- Lead the product development process for all accessories in the product category including the development of techniques, and new fabrication processes.
- Assist with costing for designated products; work with the commercial team to understand the customer requirement via insights, the cost and margin goals, and actively work on cost downs that do not compromise the design and specification.
- Work with Project Managers to create and maintain time plans critical to the product development process, report on development status and production concerns (eg. Supply chain issues, WIP Production dates to alert potential delays).
- Attend design reviews and note design changes, identify development or quality concerns, and clearly communicate revisions to all parties via the PLM system.
- Work with suppliers to calculate and secure textiles quantities for all required samples and track delivery to the factory.
- Create and maintain Production Bill of Materials (BOMs) to meet the desired Design and product aesthetics.
- Attend trade shows with designers to identify new and innovative textiles, manufacturing techniques and manufacturers.
- Create and maintain a textile, fastenings and fixtures library for reference, product selection and comparison of new suppliers.
- Produce specific reports performing competitor product aesthetics and cost analysis.
- Identify process improvements, document procedures and drive efficiencies within the area of accessories development area.
- 3 to 5 years industry experience in either Accessories or Textile Manufacturing, Sourcing or Product Development
- Bachelor’s Degree or a minimum of 4 years of additional industry experience directly related to accessories sourcing or Product Development
- Experience and/or an advanced understanding of the specification, sourcing, processing and development of leather hides and leather goods
- Intermediate understanding of Accessories design, fabric qualities, manufacturing techniques for textiles and accessories, and product development activities
- Intermediate user of Adobe creative suite, Illustrator, Photoshop & In-design
- Intermediate skills using Microsoft Office applications (Excel, Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, etc…)
Dyson monitors the market to ensure competitive salaries and pension contributions. Beyond that, you’ll also enjoy a profit-related bonus, generous leave and life insurance. But financial benefits are only the start of a Dyson career. Rapid professional growth, leadership development and new opportunities abound, driven by regular reviews and dynamic workshops. And with a vibrant culture, flexible working hours, the latest devices and a relaxed dress code reflecting our engineering spirit, it’s an exciting team environment geared to creativity, innovation and ambition.