Assistant Product Manager
Up to £27,000 + 27 days holiday +bonus + pension +healthcare + onsite gym
Working in our product team you will support the category product manager to shape our strategy for products in the 1-5 year horizon, playing a pivotal role in driving commercial input into product development. You will be Dyson’s eyes and ears on the personal care categories, keeping a close watch on how market trends, the products within, the technology, advertising and sales approaches. You’ll uncover how new products work from an engineering perspective and become an authority on the data associated with products too, updating and analysing anything from testing stats to key market trends or sales figures. Ultimately, your assessments (including comparisons with our own products) will fuel future innovation and underpin our marketing propositions.
Home to our global Research, Design and Development centre and all of our Commercial functions, Dyson HQ is tucked away in countryside famous for the railway tunnels and bridges of Isambard Brunel, who revolutionised modern engineering. Our secluded location helps us to protect our ideas and stay independent-minded. Yet nearby are the fashionable cities of Bristol and Bath (where a young James Dyson invented cyclone technology).
The building is the heartbeat of Dyson. Over 2,000 people, including James himself, spend their days strategising, inventing technology and telling the Dyson story to the world.
The team looks at all aspects of business and product strategy examining a wide variety of issues from how quickly we should seek to grow through to how we respond to competitors in different markets. We look at the strategy behind getting products to market as well as informing the engineering teams of market insight and technology development
- Inform product strategy by developing in depth knowledge of products, technologies, claims, marketing activity and commercial approaches.
- Identification of key market trends through detailed analysis of market data. Work with the insights and mechanistic teams to identify causal links in sales activities, significant market trends and identify innovations emerging on to the market.
- Ensure we have a good understanding of the consumer and retailers in major markets and what drives purchasing decisions for them in the category by liaising with market teams.
- Work with the Claims and Competitor teams to identify key competitors, maintain matrices and develop a strategy for standards/test methods that will maximise claims for our products.
- Drive through the testing requirements for new claim substantiations for Dyson products.
- Provide commercial and market input to NPI teams to help focus research on the right technologies for future products.
- Ensure that product marketing specifications are agreed at a senior level and documented.
- Plan price and range strategy for new products to ensure maximum profitability.
- Build business case scenarios to determine potential for new product launches.
You’ll be degree qualified, ideally in a numerate or engineering discipline and have some exposure to the wider world of business. You’ll need to have strong data analysis skills coupled with a proven attention to detail, the ability to identify key trends in market data and ideally a keen interest and understanding of consumer market product trends, and how products are marketed and sold. You’ll need a certain amount of confidence, character and commercial awareness – you’re someone who can work independently, proactively solve problems and deal comfortably with people at all levels of a challenging and dynamic business.
Dyson monitors the market to ensure competitive salaries and pension contributions. Beyond that, you’ll also enjoy a profit-related bonus, generous leave and life insurance. But financial benefits are only the start of a Dyson career. Rapid professional growth, leadership development and new opportunities abound, driven by regular reviews and dynamic workshops. And with a vibrant culture, flexible working hours, the latest devices and a relaxed dress code reflecting our engineering spirit, it’s an exciting team environment geared to creativity, innovation and ambition.