Associate Principal Applications Engineer - Energy Storage
Competitive + bonus + pension + 27 days holiday
Reporting to the Energy Storage Research Manager, you will join a growing team of engineers in Dyson’s Strategy & Research Group. Your focus will be to understand and anticipate the requirements of future Dyson products, working with both commercial cell suppliers and our research teams to drive the specification and selection of the next generation of Dyson’s batteries, you will:
• Have the ability to understand the overall product concept and contribute significantly to the design of the product through the use of expert knowledge of the latest technologies / methods in the industry. Meet target specifications such as cost, size, weight and efficiency within the planned timeline of each research project that would contribute to a great product.
• Generate innovative solutions with strong & high value IP.
• Work closely with other engineering disciplines to ensure that the product performance, reliability and cost expectations are met, within the planned timeline of the project.
• Communicate clearly and effectively the results and project status to a broad spectrum of associated project members and senior management.
• Have the ability to assess and handle supplier relationships both from a technical and commercial perspective, maintaining confidence in BoM and assembly costs throughout a project.
• Create plans and manage your own time using planning tools such as Microsoft Project and make sure this is integrated into the overall project plan.
Education and experience:
• Minimum BEng/MEng degree (2:1 degree or better) in Engineering, Chemistry, Physics or equivalent with a demonstrable level of industrial experience in the design and development of battery systems.
Minimum technical experience and knowledge:
• Specification, Analysis & Design:
- Expert knowledge of the analysis of battery systems, including the use of cell and pack testing equipment.
- Ability to develop mathematics based models for performance and lifetime prediction, design and analysis.
- Expert knowledge in the parameters influencing battery pack performance and cost, including: electrochemical, mechanical and safety aspects.
- Ability to specify battery and pack components to ensure conformance with engineering design and performance specifications.
- An appreciation of power electronics, with an understanding of the factors driving performance within the power system as a whole.
- Experience of FMEA, failure analysis/problem solving capability.
• Test and Validation:
-Ability to devise lab based measurement techniques and have a strong command of electrochemical analysis software and equipment for cell and pack level characterisation and validation.
- Experience of using models to understand and predict performance, including performance and lifetime.
-Experience of managing external test suppliers.
-Ability to work autonomously, working across teams.
-Strong “design-for-manufacture” mentality to deliver low cost, high volume, high performance and reliable solutions.
-Strong knowledge of cell manufacturing techniques and common issues with these.
-Appreciation of complying with national, European and Worldwide regulations and legislation.
• Experience within the battery industry, particularly selection, design and manufacturing of cylindrical cells.
• While a candidate may be from an industrial, aerospace or automotive background he/she should demonstrate the understanding required to design for low cost and high volume (more than 1 million units a year).
• Knowledge of global battery industry, both CE and EV.
• Experience in engaging with suppliers and RFI/RFQ process.
Essential behavioural skills:
• The ability to take a leadership position within a project with little direction.
• Good analytical ability and attention to detail.
• Ability to communicate appropriate, concise and accurate information in written and verbal format.
• Ability to adapt or generate imaginative and innovative ideas, in line with core Dyson values that would result in great Dyson products.
• To be able to multi-task and plan effectively when working with a variety of project teams in an often high-pressure, competitive environment in an organised manner.
• Excellent team working skills.