Associate Principal Electronics Engineer
The Associate Principal Electronics Engineer will be working with engineers and scientists on multiple R&D projects. They will be able to architect and manage the development of complex electronic systems providing a vision for the balance of hardware and software
Home to our global Research, Design and Development centre and all of our Commercial functions, Dyson HQ is tucked away in countryside famous for the railway tunnels and bridges of Isambard Brunel, who revolutionised modern engineering. Our secluded location helps us to protect our ideas and stay independent-minded. Yet nearby are the fashionable cities of Bristol and Bath (where a young James Dyson invented cyclone technology).
The building is the heartbeat of Dyson. Nearly 2,000 people, including James himself, spend their days strategizing, inventing technology and telling the Dyson story to the world. In 2017, our HQ will double its footprint with an ambitious new expansion.
In 2016 we launched our first hairdryer, the Supersonic, but in the world-class Dyson design team it doesn’t stop there. Our engineers are evolving and researching the next generation of Dyson products including new categories using the latest technology. This role involves the design & development of electronic sensors and actuators for all Dyson products.
This role is for a technical authority in architecture, design, build and test spanning the boundary between electronics and the real world. The candidate will use their broad knowledge of hardware and software to develop proof-of-concepts and prototypes then taking these designs through development and into production.
In your first year you will:
- Be challenged to solve complex problems in novel ways
- Technically lead a team of engineers as part of product design group
- Define a new system including multiple sensors and actuators, conditioning circuits and algorithms
- Provide hands-on technical expertise debugging complex hardware and software problems
- Motivate and mentor engineers on your team
- Review designs from senior engineers and ensure quality
This is what we need you to have:
- A good degree in a relevant discipline (e.g. Electronics Engineering, Physics)
- Significant experience working in the design, implementation and testing of electronic systems
- Excellent analogue and digital electronics fundamentals
- Excellent communication skills verbally and in writing to executive level and regular engineers
- Proficiency in at least one of the major schematic capture and layout packages
- Strong embedded firmware skills in C or similar
- Strong modeling and analytical skills in MATLAB or similar
- Knowledge of multiple MCU families and development environments
- Analogue circuit design techniques
- Sampling theory and Digital Signal Processing implementation
- Knowledge of a variety of different actuation and sensing technologies
Experience running project teams and designing system architectures
- Skills in HDL and statistics would be an advantage
- Knowledge of physics and a passion to apply it to smart technology
Dyson monitors the market to ensure competitive salaries and pension contributions. Beyond that, you’ll also enjoy a profit-related bonus, generous leave and life insurance. But financial benefits are only the start of a Dyson career. Rapid professional growth, leadership development and new opportunities abound, driven by regular reviews and dynamic workshops. And with a vibrant culture, flexible working hours, the latest devices and a relaxed dress code reflecting our engineering spirit, it’s an exciting team environment geared to creativity, innovation and ambition.