Principal Engineer - Acoustics & Vibration
Senai, Johor Bahru
Dyson offers a unique opportunity for talented individuals to invent, design and develop cutting edge products for the global market. By working in our world class Research, Design and Development departments around the world, these individuals have the opportunity to work alongside leading technical specialists and highly motivated creative people, to develop products which fulfill our ambition of being truly different and better than our competitors. The Associate Principal Engineer in the Technology Systems Group will be a technical expert specialising in Acoustics and Vibration. Day to day he/she will own Acoustic & Vibration performance specifications in R&D projects. He/she will guide the activities of Dyson’s design functions in cross-functional reviews and adhoc meetings - advising on the application of Acoustics & Vibration technologies as they’re integrated into new products. The Associate Principal Engineer will have a broad remit and will work across Dyson’s entire Non-Floorcare product portfolio from our fan heater range to our purifying fans and revolutionary hand dryers.
In 2000, Dyson moved production from Malmesbury to Malaysia to be closer to our supply chains and open up international growth. The small team of 10 has now grown to almost 1,200 – forming Dyson’s second biggest global hub. Located in the exhilarating industrial heart of Johor, it’s also home to RDD, IT, operations, finance, creative and HR.
The RDD facility is central to our plans to launch 100 new machines in the next four years. To meet these ambitions, we recently expanded the site to 30,000m², with 50 advanced technology labs and 700 new engineers. In the Dyson world, there’s no more exciting place to be.
Motors & Power systems
Sometimes, making a technological leap forward means going back to the beginning. Since 1999, we’ve spent £150m building a motor from scratch – small, light and efficient, yet extremely powerful. Our motors are what enable our technology to be different – it’s why they’re protected by 20 to 30 patents. But the next generation demands new directions. Energy storage, robotics, nanotechnology and space-age materials. So our multi-disciplinary team, led by some of the world’s best power electronics engineers, knows that only the most pioneering thinking will do.
- Take a proactive approach in the design and improvement of robust Acoustics & Vibration solutions and resolutions of technical challenges across projects/matrix structure
- Act as subject matter expert in the field of Acoustics and Vibration, disseminating knowledge, guiding and mentor engineers in methodology, best practice and standards
- Proactively identify technical risks within projects and influence engineering teams in their resolution, often taking the lead in the design and testing of the engineering solution
- Ensure the safety and reliability of all Dyson products
- Challenge and develop best practice and process improvements within team and across the wider RDD function
- Active participation in the approval sign-off of milestones
- A strong degree in any science or engineering discipline, preferably up to PhD level
- At least 5 years of technical engineering experience in an R&D or related environment, preferably involving scientific experimentation and/or predictive simulation techniques
- At least 2 years experience in a technical leadership role
- Excellent analytical and problem solving ability
- An understanding of statistical techniques and an ability to analyse data to identify trends and patterns – preferrably Six Sigma Black Belt or equivalent
- An understanding of mass production variation and control techniques such as tolerance analysis
- An understanding of the common assembly/manufacturing processes used in modern consumer products
- Excellent organisational skills. Able to manage multiple tasks, plan ahead and autonomously prioritise tasks
- Excellent verbal and written English communication skills
- Strong interpersonal and team management skills
- Proactive and highly motivated individual – keen to make a difference to Dyson products
- Basic understanding of Dyson products and our core technologies
Dyson Malaysia monitors the market to ensure we offer competitive salaries, management bonuses and pension contributions. Beyond that, you’ll enjoy generous leave and medical care and insurance. But financial benefits are only the start of a career at Dyson. Leadership support and new opportunities abound, driven by regular dialogue and international training. And with a vibrant culture, the latest devices and a relaxed dress code reflecting our engineering spirit, it’s an exciting team environment geared to progress, innovation and realising ambition.