Associate Principal Engineer - Manufacturing
£Competitive + 27 Days Holiday + Pension + Bonus
The successful Candidate will be involved in early design concept, identifying, Manufacturing technologies and process, materials, pre-empt production issues and find ways to build in more efficiently and RFT. Yet robustly. From advising the design teams on DFx, carrying out proof of principal work, designing the machines, to the machines that build the machines, we’re helping to shape the future of technology.
We are currently recruiting a team of manufacturing specialists to work alongside our RDD technology groups to ensure that our products are manufactured to the highest standard.
The Associate Principal Manufacturing Engineer role is to define and develop manufacturing solutions from the early phases of product development through to start of production working with our NPI engineers and our SEA Operations team. This includes working within the product teams to ensure Design for Manufacturing and Design for Assembly, plus working with Dyson engineers and suppliers to develop manufacturing systems, processes and equipment as required. It will also involve defining ways of working and new process, including but not exclusively Manufacturing Readiness Levels (MRL’s). You have opportunity to grow your engineering skills, working with other engineers to develop yourself, as well as being responsible and accountable for your own work and deliverables.
Home to our global Research, Design and Development centre and all of our Commercial functions, Dyson HQ is tucked away in countryside famous for the railway tunnels and bridges of Isambard Brunel, who revolutionised modern engineering. Our secluded location helps us to protect our ideas and stay independent-minded. Yet nearby are the fashionable cities of Bristol and Bath (where a young James Dyson invented cyclone technology).
The building is the heartbeat of Dyson. Nearly 2,000 people, including James himself, spend their days strategizing, inventing technology and telling the Dyson story to the world. In 2017, our HQ will double its footprint with an ambitious new expansion.
Provide manufacturing skills in:
- Guide & Work with RDD and Manufacturing Engineering teams to deliver best practice regarding assembly and / or component manufacturing processes, in the most cost efficient way whilst ensuring product quality and reliability targets are achieved
- Work with contract manufacturing assembly and production providers
- Lead or participate in data driven risk analysis to enable informed review of manufacturing plans
- Work in cross functional teams in the UK and SEA
Use DFA/DFM and Lean Manufacturing techniques to ensure suitability of all designs for efficient high-volume manufacture
Manufacturing Documentation, inc but exclusive:
- Process and material flows, production layouts and time studies, equipment lists and costing,
- Tools to develop manufacturing technology internally and with external partners / universities
Specification, purchase and implementation of Manufacturing equipment for assembly, testing, and component manufacture
- RFQ’s, CAPEX,
- Proof of Principle
- Assess the process capability of key equipment, using SPC, GR&R or Measurement System Analysis as appropriate
Manufacturing skills and experience:
- Ability to demonstrate a sound understanding of general engineering principles
- Experience of a range of manufacturing techniques and an ability to explain them and apply them in novel and imaginative ways
- Experience of implementing manufacturing solutions in a NPI/NPD environment, preferably at assembly level in addition to component level
Project and People management skills and experience:
- Deliver new process to Early MRL gates for transfer to NPD
- Project management experience,
- Ability to influence decision makers (both technical and non-technical) in a challenging environment
- Ability to work as Independent working, self-starter, Self-motivated with good interpersonal skills o Ability to project manage, supporting, leading and delivering technology projects into production, working with and in most cases leading those activates with the teams in RDD and SEA
General skills and requirements:
- Experience of relevant high volume manufacturing environment
- Experience of working in an environment where specification and process are not always predetermined o Ability to work with ambiguity in an environment where specification and process are not always predetermined
- Excellent English oral and written communication skills
- Ability to work well in a dynamic and rapidly changing environment
- Ability to drive progress and actions through an analytical and data driven approach
Desirable Skills & Experience:
Manufacturing skills and experience: ?
- Good use of Lean Six-Sigma tools – would like but not necessarily to have Green belt or Black Belt accreditation
- Manufacturing simulation ?
- Knowledge of / or worked on continuous improvement in a manufacturing environment ?
- Manufacturing process research and development ?
- Manufacturing equipment design, build and implementation
Project and People management skills and experience: ?
- Held a position of responsibility (project / people / financial) within the manufacturing function of a lean, quality driven, class leading organization ?
- Ability to evaluate, understand and manage risk (technical, safety, commercial) associated with a project
- Project management
General skills and experience: ?
- Ability to problem solving and looking at ideas from a number of angles to the draw an informed conclusion even if it isn’t their personal favourite ?
- Proven product design and development ?
- Commercial exposure, especially supplier management ?
- Hands-on engineering experience and hobbies ?