Principal Power Electronics Engineer
Applicants for this particular role must have demonstrable experience in the following power electronics areas for which the power electronics team is responsible, including:
Motor Drive Systems:
- Design of motor inverter hardware for:
- Low to high-speed single and three phase motor systems
- Servo and stepper motor drives
Power Supply Design:
- Off line switch mode PSU, DC to DC Switch mode and linear regulator power supplies for low voltage analogue and digital circuitry
- Passive component selection and design
Battery Management Systems:
- Design of battery management systems for a variety of products and cell pack structures
- Design of cell balancing hardware
- Development of new battery management systems for emerging cell technologies (e.g. Sakti3 solid state battery technology)
The Associate Principal Power Electronics Engineer will be the departments expert with regard to power electronics and:
- Has a proven track record in providing innovative solutions that result in a clear technical advantage over competitor products, ideally demonstrated with filed patents
- Has the confidence to tackle something completely new and is able to cross pollinate ideas
- Commands respect from your peers, and is able to stand by your convictions and say no even in difficult situations
- Will be an expert in the development of battery management systems, including assessing alternative battery management solutions and topologies for different product requirements
- Has detailed knowledge of the design of motor inverters and control for brushless DC, servo and stepper motors
- Will work with the different product teams to gain an in depth product understanding, while using their expert knowledge to create innovative power electronics systems and solutions
- Has excellent knowledge of the latest technologies both within and outside of your field, including EMC/EMI regulatory, safety requirements and thermal management
- Will take technical responsibility for the power electronics output of the department prior to handover to the development teams through reviews, critiques and approval of the specifications and designs to confirm they are robust, cost effective and fit for purpose for a high volume manufacture environment
- Will impart your expert technical knowledge to assist in the personal development of other team members.
Whilst the Power Electronics team is responsible for supporting products at initial design stages, a key focus for any successful applicant will be to research into new technology and look at ways of incorporating this into future products.
Qualifications, skills and behaviours:
Education and experience:
- BEng/MEng degree in Electronic Engineering or other relevant discipline with a demonstrable level of industrial experience in a directly relevant industry
Minimum technical knowledge:
Excellent general knowledge of power electronic devices, including silicon based IGBTs and MOSFETs through to emerging SiC / GaN based technologies.
Understanding of device characteristics and issues with switching behaviour in real circuits.
Proven experience in the design of SMPS.
Proven experience in motor inverter design and motor control, particularly gate drive design to component level.
Device selection - Interpretation of datasheets and knowledge of design methods to confidently select the lowest cost devices while achieving reliability targets.
Power electronics layout for best compromise between good switching performance, cooling, cost and size.
Thermal design – specification of water / air / cooling systems.
Design and specification of passive components
Battery application experience specifically with regard to safety systems, cell balancing and determining system parameters (such as product runtimes)
Design of battery management systems, especially for Lithium-Ion technology
- Schematic capture using Altium Designer, Mentor Graphics or other main stream tools
- Use of SPICE based simulation tools such as Simetrix and LTspice
- System level modelling tools such as Matlab, Simulink and PLECS
- Flowtherm or similar thermal modelling packages
- Design calculation tools such as Mathcad, Matlab, Excel.
- Circuit simulation and design tolerance analysis
- Robust design including FMEA techniques
- Good quality engineering process understanding and appreciation
- Design for high volume manufacture
- Mains and high voltage equipment
- PCB layout – size/cost minimisation while achieving layouts for inherently good EMC compliance and thermal design.
- Experience of analogue circuit design (e.g. signal amplification and conditioning for feedback signals from power electronic hardware to microcontrollers for example).
- PhD in Electronic Engineering or other relevant discipline