Battery Pack Solution Owner
Dyson offers a unique opportunity for a talented and experienced Battery Pack Solution Owner in the Motors, Power and Electronic Systems Research Team, within Dyson’s Research, Design and Development (RDD) department; based in Malmesbury, Wiltshire,
Applicants for this particular role must have demonstrable experience in the following battery development areas for which the power electronics team is responsible, including:
- Technical leadership and responsibility for battery pack application/integration programmes - in order to deliver a fully engineered, validated battery pack system
- Technical interface with the partners, suppliers, and internal teams.
- Act as the internal customer for the development and delivery of the appropriate technologies from Research teams.
- Work with testing, validation and certification partners to ensure the battery pack achieves the appropriate level of safety, functionality, durability and robustness to meet the life and certification requirements.
The Battery Pack Solution Owner will be the departments point of contact with regard to the pack development and:
- Has a proven track record in delivering battery packs that result in a clear technical advantage over competitor products, ideally demonstrated with products that have been brought to market.
- Has the confidence to tackle something completely new and is able to cross pollinate ideas
- Commands respect from your peers, and is able to stand by your convictions even in difficult situations
- Will be an expert in the development of battery packs.
- Will work with the different design teams to gain an in depth understanding, while using their expert knowledge to create innovative battery pack systems and solutions
- Will take technical responsibility for the battery pack output of the department prior to handover to the development teams through reviews, critiques and approval of the specifications and designs to confirm they are robust, cost effective and fit for purpose for a high volume manufacture environment
- Will impart your expert technical knowledge to assist in the personal development of other team members.
Will be expected to clearly define all aspects of the battery packs battery management system. Ideally also have the background and experience to critique the proposed electrical system.
- Ideally PhD qualified with a BEng/MEng degree in Electronic Engineering or other relevant discipline with a demonstrable level of industrial experience in a directly relevant industry
- Experience of electrical and electronic component integration, design & development on high volume products
Minimum technical knowledge:
Excellent general knowledge and experience of the mechanical, thermal and electrical aspects to battery pack design.
Implementation of battery management systems especially for Lithium-Ion technology.
Battery application experience specifically with regard to safety systems, cell balancing and determining system parameters (such as product runtimes).
Knowledge of battery pack assembly and testing protocols.
Have expert knowledge in all areas associated with both AC and DC charging, both present and future legislation ensuring the battery pack is able to accept (and is future proofed for) the most appropriate charging methods.
Robust design including FMEA techniques at pack level.
Experience of design for manufacturing.
Closing date will be 2nd January 2017.