Electrochemist - Energy Storage
Competitive + bonus + pension + 27 days holiday
Reporting to our Senior Electrochemist, you will join a team of electrochemists, mechanical and electronic engineers in Dyson’s Strategy and Research Group. Your focus will be on the development of novel cell designs to meet Dyson’s Energy Storage requirements. In this role you will have access to the latest technologies from around the world and develop the next generation of batteries.
• Gain a clear understanding of Dyson’s Energy storage requirements and apply your knowledge to develop custom cells, enabling the next generation of our products.
• Use a combination of practical experience, modelling and theoretical knowledge to understand and optimise electrode design and prototyping.
• Apply strong characterisation skills to analyse electrodes utilising both physical and electrochemical tools. You will be able to apply these results to drive cell performance.
• Work within a small team to scale electrode designs from small scale batches to prototype cells. Utilising process insight and applied knowledge you will facilitate an accurate and efficient transfer of process.
Education and experience:
• Degree in a physical science discipline (e.g. Physics; Chemistry; Chemical Engineering; Engineering)
• Experience in electrochemical experiments, including: CC/CV, cyclic voltammetry, EIS
• Experience of a variety of electrode preparation techniques. Particular interest in alternative manufacturing routes, for example: extrusion, spray deposition, screen printing etc.
• Understanding of critical battery materials, including key trends and developments.
• Experience in developing polymer rich electrodes.
• Experience in developing lithium metal cells.
• Experience in preparing high solid content electrodes/coatings.
• Experience of electrode characterisation, for example: SEM, BET, mercury porisometry.
Essential behavioural skills:
• Excellent analytical ability and attention to detail.
• Ability to communicate appropriate, concise and accurate information in written and verbal format.
• To be able to multi-task and plan effectively when working with a variety of project teams in an often high-pressure, competitive environment in an organised manner.
• Ability to identify and solve problems independently.
• Excellent time management skills and ability to prioritise tasks.
• Excellent team working skills.