Consumer Insights Manager
Chicago, IL USA
This particular role is one of our first satellite Insight roles; one that balances focus on creating further local market success with global reporting lines and prioritisation. Local expertise is essential to the business for successful monitoring and guidance; ensuring all Dyson products meet business expectations.
Our mission is to interpret the consumer voice; understanding how to differentiate Dyson technology! We work in the hub of the action; interfacing between RDD, Commercial and business functions; we are the cement between the bricks of the Dyson product development framework. We thrive on the technical challenges associated with establishing convincing proposition through to superior product offering.
To be successful within the Claims, Standards and Insights function you need to be a team player with imagination and a good work ethic. In addition, a self-starter- able to pick things up and happy to explore opportunities without a rigid framework and prioritization. As individuals within a fast-paced creative environment you will need to manage your stakeholders and their expectations. Your input will help steer projects through the early stages of the development milestone process and work closely with local marketing and insight teams to on-board them with relevant category level insight.
This particular role is one of 2 global satellite insight roles; this one being based in our Chicago Centre of Excellence [CoE]; the other in Shanghai. This role is one that balances requirements of local market needs with global reporting lines and prioritization. Local expertise is essential to the business to ensure our US product offering fulfills the needs of the US consumer.
- Challenging briefs either developed locally to support CoE initiatives or Group owned briefs that deliver insight for a particular category/ milestone.
- Communicating with Global Insight Team to understand, embody and give feedback on business objectives (as outlined centrally) using tools such as our searchable insight platform to curate category and market insight.
- Advising on changes to suggested methodologies, to ensure most appropriate research techniques
- Advising and designing research plans that focus on the early stages of the Product Life Cycle [mixed methodology].
- Advising and designing research questionnaires and moderator guides
- Co-ordinating with suppliers, facilitating and overseeing in-market fieldwork
- Set-up and support in-market research programmes as devised by Global Insight Team
- Coordinate administrative aspects of project.
- Develop processes and support the development of the Dyson global supplier framework
- Develop and modify Schemes of Work for insight projects.
- Vet and verify the quality of suppliers.
- Localise global processes to ensure seamless insight delivery back to the Global Team
- Sharing best practice in the field of research.
- Moderation and facilitation of in-market research projects
- Localise stimulus where needed
- Support the running of local post-launch user studies so as to inform next generation products.
- Bringing together rigorous research with business analysis and strategic thinking
- Provide local insight to CoE engineers, not only within categories, but also seeking the opportunities in cross category efficiencies and learnings
- Interpreting data, writing reports, and making actionable recommendations for the region
- You will be the voice of the US consumer for the Global team.
- Work with local Insights team to answer commercial questions and work towards delivering accelerated growth
- Candidate must possess at least a Diploma/ Advanced/ Higher/ Graduate Diploma, Bachelor's Degree in Marketing, Psychology, Sociology, Anthropology, Engineering, Science related subject, numerate degree or equivalent.
- Must be able to travel extensively within the region to execute fieldwork and to UK office.
- Computer literate with good working knowledge of Microsoft Office.
- Proficient with Excel, PowerPoint, and SPSS/SAS/Snap
- A minimum of 6 years within the Market Research industry
- Ideally minimum 2 years’ experience with consumer electronics / consumer goods industries
- Experience in Dyson product categories and product development beneficial
- Practical experience with a wide array of new product, brand, advertising and customer satisfaction research methodologies
- Experience in qualitative and quantitative research and insight, with expertise in a wide range of techniques.
- At least 4 years’ experience in moderating focus groups and in depth interviews
- At least 4 years’ experience in survey design, sampling techniques and data handling.
- Genuinely interested and excited by rummaging and foraging for answers- in data tables, desk research, out in the field or wherever they think they can find answers.
- Strong numeracy and analytic skills with experience in statistical modelling and analysis a benefit
- Strong at identifying key themes and opportunities; narrowing down and polishing ideas.
- Demonstrable ability to analyse and triangulate data.
- Strong problem solver
- Highly motivated self-starter; able to pick things up and happy to explore opportunities without a rigid framework or direct supervision
- Especially important given will be based remotely from UK team
- Able to work independently without supervision.
- Exceptional written and oral communication abilities.
- Some previous experience working ‘on the move’, from home or remotely would be beneficial. Proactive 2 way communication is essential.
- Adaptable, flexible, willing to take on new challenges and able to pick things up quickly. Open minded and not wedded to traditional ways of doing things.
- Able to nurture relationships, and manage stakeholders within the local market and also long distance relationships with Global Insight Team
- Excellent organisational and planning skills – able to work with and communicate across all levels of the business.
- Excellent prioritisation skills and being able to say ‘no’ to people in the most constructive way.
- Confident in working for a technology lead company. Engineering always comes first.
- Strong attention to detail and must possess character of high integrity as well as being able to look at the bigger picture.
- Resourceful, bright and engaging. Can devise creative ways to deliver insight to a broad range of customers.
Dyson US monitors the market to ensure competitive salaries, holidays and retirement plans. Beyond that, you’ll also enjoy profit-related bonuses and life and disability cover. But financial rewards are just the start of a Dyson career. Rapid professional growth, leadership development and new opportunities abound, driven by regular reviews and dynamic workshops. And with a vibrant culture, the latest devices and a relaxed dress code reflecting our engineering spirit, it’s an exciting team environment geared to fueling and realizing ambition.
Dyson is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you are interested in applying for employment with Dyson and need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process, please send an e-mail with your contact information, the job number of the position for which you are interested in applying, and the nature of your request to email@example.com or call (312) 706-2260. Determinations of requests for reasonable accommodation are made on a case-by-case basis.
Dyson is an Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities, Females, Protected Veterans, and Individuals with Disabilities.