Programme Director (Digital Transformation)
£Competitive + Bonus + Pension + Private Health / Dental + 27 days holiday + Free onsite gym
The Commercial Programme Director role offers a unique opportunity to lead programme delivery across a number of existing and planned owner-facing programmes, as our road map evolves. Offering great exposure to key stakeholders across the business, the ideal candidate will bring understanding of commercial operations combined with digital technologies and processes, together with deep experience of leading complex change right through the delivery life cycle from initial shaping and scoping through to handover to business-as-usual. We need a confident and experienced individual with significant knowledge of digital project management in a digital/creative or branded environment.
Dyson launched in 1993 with James Dyson and a handful of engineers questioning everyday products, thinking differently and making them better. There are now over 10,000 of us globally, and ambitious growth plans to bring further innovative high quality products to market. Dyson people are encouraged to think differently, challenge convention and be unafraid to make mistakes.We’re creative, collaborative, practical, enthusiastic and resourceful. But most of all we’re passionate about what we do.
Dyson obsesses about providing an exceptional owner experience from initial awareness & consideration, through to purchase, ownership, on-going usage and the servicing of Dyson machines. To fully realise our ambition, Dyson has embarked on a digital transformation programme, planning and implementing tier 1 strategic platforms and integrations across multiple channels, including e-commerce, retail, social, contact centre, app and digital marketing. Digital transcends all our categories of Floorcare, Environmental Control, Personal Care, Lighting as well as new category areas, across all markets, globally. Working closely with our Global IT function, the Commercial team plays a critical role in defining what the owner experience should be, establishing how the business will operate and hence, clarifying the required supporting technology.
As a result, Commercial makes up an integral part of all our major transformation programmes, throughout their entire lifecycle, from need and requirements definition, through delivery, QA and into operational readiness.Together, the commercial, IT & digital teams focus on the key technologies that drive the interface with our owners, including digital commerce platforms, UI frameworks, apps, social networks, content management systems, CRM and promotions engines, campaign management tools & order management to name a few.
- Understand the core, underlying commercial strategy behind any given programme, articulate the requisite owner and business need that drives this and recognise the likely underlying technology required to meet expectation
- Create and direct an effective programme structure, to support the efficient and successful delivery of the key projects that make up the programme, taking into account the requisite relationships and complexities across business functions, system delivery and geographical territories
- Collaborate with key stakeholders, within both Group and Market, to agree scope and secure a clear delivery road-map, with a robust mechanism to manage risk, issues and change throughout
- Support, facilitate and drive the prioritisation of demand (project pipeline) within a programme relative to assessment of opportunity, value, scope, sizing of work, budgets and business capability/readiness
- Retain wider awareness of linked programmes or other business area activities to provide any cross-referencing, as required, to support the delivery of solutions that consider all business need
- Establish a clear approach to definition, design and delivery, so that ways of working and capabilities are set-up to create and then convert coherent, stable requirements into a solution for which the business is fully, operationally prepared
- Work seamlessly with the IT programme delivery lead & 3rd parties to co-ordinate the business and programme teams responsible for defining and detailing functional and operational need with the technical teams responsible for designing and delivering appropriate system capabilities, so that a complete solution is realised
- Organise and manage key resource to ensure the relevant specialist knowledge and expertise is available through the entire programme lifecycle: establishing and validating owner need and business capability, solution definition and design, delivery and testing, into readiness and BAU transition
- Oversee the deployment and co-ordination of programme leadership and key resource to maximise efficiency and delivery capability
- Create, develop and optimise relationships with third party providers, as required responsibility (alongside the IT programme delivery lead) for financial management of each programme to agreed budgets, maintaining and analysing expenditure and run rates to control costs and prevent overspend
- Provide accurate cost estimates for the projects that make up a programme and any change introduced within them (additional work or re-planning)
- Maintain a robust planning capability to align programme demand/activities against resource capacity/capability, in particular to minimise resource contention and manage risk or conflict within programme delivery Ensure robust programme plans are created and maintained at both a headline, top-down level and a fully-integrated, bottom-up baseline level, with all key milestones, stage gates and risks
- Effectively manage a programmes critical path/s
- Assess/articulate the impact of change within programme delivery. Install a robust change control process
- Install and uphold clear governance across the programme and its interface with the business, IT functions and any 3rd party partners, to effectively control and manage the end-to-end delivery process
- Provide a critical link with senior executives within the business to underpin core steering for the programme, throughout its life
- Preparation for and facilitation of Executive Steering meetings
- Drive and challenge timelines of all contributors, internal and external, to maintain a working cadence and pace focused on delivering all milestones and deliverable's to plan. Lead resolution of major escalated blockers and barriers
- Orchestrate informed decision making, ensure risks and issues are effectively managed through clear mitigation process and that any conflict is rapidly resolved
- Closely monitor and set-up framework for reporting on overall progress and deployment efficiency
- Maintain essential programme comms both within the programme and across the wider stakeholder and business population to uphold visibility of progress and prevent misinterpretations / misunderstandings
- Support continuous learning and improvement activities
- Working with the Digital Transformation Director, develop and maintain a world-class programme team & infrastructure to provide the critical commercial delivery capability for all, commercial, owner-facing needs
- Direct line management of the relevant programme managers and senior project managers, providing clear guidance and support on delivery expectations and coaching on personal development goals
- Set clear standards across the programme on expected capabilities, so that team members understand their KPIs and delivery expectations. Support and act decisively on the management of poor performance.
- Dyson is a global business, so this role is likely to include some international travel and may include periodic relocation requirement to support distributed programme teams across both the UK and key global markets.
- Significant experience of strategically planning, scoping and leading the end to end delivery of large scale & complex digital transformation programmes of work (ideally for large reputable brands) that impact the direct customer interface or proposition (marketing, information, experience, sales, service and support)
- Significant experience of delivering projects and large programmes of work using various methodologies and project management tools (Agile and MS Projects) Must have a clear understanding of the latest digital tools / platforms and current technologies
- Excellent financial planning skills and a proven track record of holding ownership for large (six to seven figure) budgets
- Evidence of effectively managing senior to c-suite level stakeholders
- Proven experience of balancing commercial requirements against system capabilities to ensure desired outcomes are achieved
- Demonstrable experience of leading multi disciplined and widespread teams (medium to large) through dynamic and fast-changing environments (ideally in large global matrix sized organisations)
- Proven track record of coaching and developing individuals / teams and promoting high performance and excellent levels of cross-functional engagement
- Proven track record of solving complex business problems that involve many moving parts
- Professional project management qualifications (desirable)
Dyson monitors the market to ensure competitive salaries and pension contributions. Beyond that, you’ll also enjoy generous leave and life insurance. But financial benefits are only the start of a Dyson career. Rapid professional growth, leadership development and new opportunities abound, driven by regular reviews and dynamic workshops. And with a vibrant culture, flexible working hours, the latest devices and a relaxed dress code reflecting our engineering spirit, it’s an exciting team environment geared to creativity, innovation and ambition.