Consumer & Market Insights Manager
As a Manager of Consumer and Market Insights, you will have the opportunity to make a significant impact on the success and growth of Dyson. Beyond providing invaluable insights to drive the business, you will also be able to recommend actions to be taken, working closely with and influencing decisions across the business. A successful person in this position will be able to see the world from a marketing and business perspective, as well as from a researcher perspective.
This position will require a high degree of collaboration with cross-functional teams (within the US, as well as with GHQ in the UK and across other markets) to drive consumer-centric strategies, to present forward-thinking consumer trends, and to socialize consumer and product insight. The Manager of Consumer and Market Insights will help develop and execute strategy by leading key stakeholders through the insight hunting and validation process. As a key provider of key business insights and implications, you will outline research needs, design studies, and manage multiple research suppliers to provide actionable research insights. You will serve as an insights expert using qualitative and quantitative market research, in addition to leveraging syndicated research (NPD, etc.) to add to your analysis.
This role requires a person with a creative bent who is able to lead in the face of uncertainty, able to pull disparate pieces of data together for a cohesive and insightful story, and who is able to highlight the key takeaways and action points for the cross functional team. Dyson is a culture driven by change and comfort in grey areas – an ideal candidate in this role will be a self-starter looking to make an immediate impact and help an innovative company continue to grow.
Purpose of Position
- Drive Dyson to fully understand trends, consumers, shoppers, customers, and their needs; identify opportunities for growth, improvement, and optimization; transform ideas into concepts, products, and projects that drive the Dyson strategic growth agenda.
- Deeply understand key competitors, anticipate their strategic moves.
- To be an organizational go-to for brand, category, and consumer knowledge that executes efficiently against the Annual Learning Plan
Source, arrange and communicate data that accurately tracks business performance
Review, compile and communicate tracking and syndicated data to the key areas of the business (sales, finance, marketing, management)
Use longitudinal data to make recommendations that aid business performance, effectively storytelling and present data to bring entire organization along
Lead insights work to fully understand trends, consumer attitudes and behaviors, key functional and emotional requirements, usage occasions, shopper needs, and translate those learnings into insights to be used as foundations for strategic action
Lead insights work related to understanding competitors that play in this space. Identify key market and cultural trends relevant to business objectives.
Identify opportunities to drive Dyson growth, disseminate learnings internally, including leadership, marketing, sales, and finance to ensure internal alignment and understanding of consumer and market needs
Identify and manage outside vendors and third parties to maximize learning and value from projects. This entails actively engaging and leveraging partner intellectual horsepower, providing feedback for continual improved performance, and negotiating of contracts.
Fulfill other duties as required
Relish the opportunity to pick up new activities that fall broadly in the purpose of the role
Fix things that need fixing
Identify problems and find solutions
Experience and Education
· Minimum 5-7 years in market research
· Client and agency side experience would be preferable
· Retailer/account presentation experience
· Bachelor’s degree required, in Marketing, Economics, Finance or a related field required
· MBA preferred
· Proven strategic thinking
· Qualitative, Qualitative, Longitudinal, and Syndicated research skills and experience
· Expert in Excel/PowerPoint; Pivot table knowledge essential
· Strong analytical skills; proficient in statistics, experimental design, survey creation and analysis
· Ability to tell a story with data, comfortable presenting to senior leadership
· Excellent communication, organization and presentation skills (written, oral, and across Microsoft Office Suite)
· Highly motivated self-starter
· Architect: Building the New and Different; Creating the climate for success; Goes the extra mile; Thrives in change environment; Is an ambassador for the team
· Fighter: Passionate Perseverance; Getting the best Result; Never wants to give up; Sets an standard of excellence in everything they do; Gets back up again after set backs
· Ingenious: Focused on getting the right answer by thinking hard – looking for detail and patterns; Looks well beyond the obvious;
sees opportunities where others don’t; Has vision of what is possible and a desire use great ideas to drive change; Spots connections not seen by others