Consumer Science Research Manager
£Competitive + 27 Days Holiday, Bonus, Pension
This is a young function in Dyson and affords a fantastic opportunity for a visionary technical master to lead and set the pace for both the integration of technical insight and adoption of new capability into the life blood of design in RDD. The successful candidate will be managing a team of junior and senior scientists/engineers with a variety of expertise and specialism areas (ergonomics, psychoacoustics, flow dynamics and sensory science). The role therefore requires strong strategic prowess as well as creative application of techniques to ensure a high level of influence on people and impact on products.
- Sets strategic direction for the Consumer Experience team (6 people) to define packages of work, highest points of impact and core deliverables across the business
- Defines and drives integration of a variety of methods & techniques to maximise effectiveness of insights for product performance specification and category direction setting
- Ensures deliverables align with core Dyson strengths and behaviours to ensure impact and adoption across the business
- Defines benefit strategy for future initiative pipelines in all Categories using advanced translation skills from numerous data sets in technical insight and perception measures
- Demonstrates qualitative and quantitative technical mastery at the highest level and builds this knowledge and expertise across Dyson both within and external to the Consumer Experience team
- Provides Leadership over core technical mastery delivery to the business through principal perception measure definition and consumer psychology practices. Responsible for ensuring high executional excellence from team
- Highlights opportunities for technical mastery development against specific category needs and enables direct report capability growth in core & specialist skills
- Works as part of a cross-functional team to identify total Dyson strategic direction and methodology for all consumer touch points across product development and launch.
- Influences quality, commercial and upstream research and development functions to facilitate faster, more relevant and accurate consumer data gathering and analysis.
The ideal candidate will have extensive experience in consumer centric science or engineering within a variety of different Industries. Experience in FMCG, Personal Care or a similar field would be beneficial.
- Extensive hands on consumer centric expertise within a Research & Development function (Up Stream/Front End Design experience would be advantageous)
- Strong knowledge across qualitative and quantitative research methodologies and analysis, including qualitative moderating experience and quantitative data analysis.
- Strong Mastery in a specialist field of Consumer Experience or Science/Engineering and an ability to customise its implementation to suit different audiences and briefs.
- Demonstrate strong cross-functional collaboration skills when working with Marketing, Consumer Insights and Product Quality to deliver best in class research which maximises learning potential.
- Able to adapt / re-appropriate technical skills and methodologies to suit the continually evolving technical environment.