Contract Manager - Legal
Starting salary will be determined based on experience and credentials.
Chicago, IL USA
Under the direction of the Assistant General Counsel, this position will serve as the liaison between internal business clients and the Legal team to provide legal support and guidance to all levels of the business through the administration and enforcement of company policies and procedures with respect to contracts, real estate and other matters. This position will be primarily responsible for all contracts for the entire Americas region. This position will manage and enable the contract process from beginning to end, including the creation of new agreements, contract negotiation, contract execution, maintaining agreements and auditing contracts to ensure compliance with internal policies and best practices. This position will require close collaboration with various departments at all levels of the business.
Dyson sells products in 71 countries, and it employs almost 6,000 people globally, one third of whom are engineers and scientists. The face of Dyson is changing rapidly. Three years ago 80% of Dyson’s business was full-sized vacuum cleaners. Today its digital motor powers cordless vacuums, robots, hand dryers, bladeless fans, humidifiers, purifiers and heaters around the world. This is just the beginning; we just launched our new Supersonic Hair Dryer and have a plan to launch many other new products over the next 3 years.
Dyson learned an early lesson in the value of legal might, winning a grueling battle against Hoover when it infringed our early cyclone technology patents. Our in-house legal teams have been at the forefront of Dyson ever since. From the information security experts and IP teams doggedly protecting our ideas, to the commercial lawyers and procurement specialists who solve our toughest business challenges across the world, to make sure Dyson stays ahead.
- Own the entire legal review process, including collaborate with business teams to prepare contracts for legal review, timely review and approve standard contracts (i.e. NDAs and SOWs), prepare of redline recommendations and escalate complex contract issues to the Assistant General Counsel.
- Work with contract owners to manage contract dates to ensure timely terminations or renewals.
- Develop, implement and enforce procedures for contract management and administration in compliance with company policy and best practices.
- Work with the Legal team to identify areas of contractual risk and take lead on the development and implantation of risk mitigation protocols for such risk.
- Drive all contract management projects necessary for effective contract management, including regular contract audits and other necessary audits.
- If required, obtain all applicable risk sign off and/or financial, insurance, or privacy review and approvals.
- Collaborate with the procurement, retail/real estate, and marketing teams to draft and negotiate various commercial and procurement agreements, including confidentiality agreements, terms and conditions, licenses, lease agreements, contractor agreements, service agreements and purchase agreements.
- Work closely with sales teams to draft and negotiate distribution agreements, retailer agreements, and trading terms.
- Develop contract templates and form agreements as needed to accommodate evolving business needs.
- Manage all negotiations between Dyson and external vendors and suppliers, including resolution of conflicting terms, interests and objectives, and assist in the development of negotiation strategies.
- Facilitate and provide guidance on contract matters, including training on contracting policies and procedures.
- Under the direction of the Assistant General Counsel, assist with variety of strategic projects and assignments.
- Bachelor’s degree, or paralegal certificate required
- Minimum 4+ years’ experience as a contract manager in corporate legal department or related procurement role required
- Experience with contract management for multiple jurisdictions or regions preferred
- Advanced experience in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook required
- SharePoint proficiency preferred
- Ability to maintain highest levels of confidentiality
- Ability to analyze complex problems, draw relevant conclusions and implement appropriate solutions with an eye towards detail
- Strong verbal and written skills, and ability to convey complex information in a way that others can follow
- Proactive and able to anticipate needs based on changing circumstances
- Self starter with the ability to work independently
- Problem solver with ability to effectively collaborate cross functionally
- Strong organization skills and ability to prioritize
- Must be adaptable to a fast paced and changing environment and departments
- Team player – willing to roll up sleeves and drive action to achieve results.