Competitive + Bonus + Benefits
- Sitting within the Global Cost Team working with Engineering, Operations, Procurement and Finance, you will be responsible for the creation, development and driving forward cost saving ideas across a range of products at Dyson from concept through to production.
- You will be working closely with procurement, engineering, and research and manufacturing engineers bringing to bear your experience and knowledge to challenge and reduce costs with an emphasis on early stage influence on design decisions.
Home to our global Research, Design and Development centre and all of our Commercial functions, Dyson HQ is tucked away in countryside famous for the railway tunnels and bridges of Isambard Brunel, who revolutionised modern engineering. Our secluded location helps us to protect our ideas and stay independent-minded. Yet nearby are the fashionable cities of Bristol and Bath (where a young James Dyson invented cyclone technology).
The building is the heartbeat of Dyson. Nearly 2,000 people, including James himself, spend their days strategizing, inventing technology and telling the Dyson story to the world. In 2017, our HQ will double its footprint with an ambitious new expansion.
Neodymium magnets. Aerospace-grade carbon fibre. PEEK high strength plastic. Just a few of the materials procured to build just one of our machines – the Dyson digital motor V2. But when you design unconventional machines, you need unconventional materials. The Procurement department works directly with RDD on Dyson’s most secret projects. Sourcing high quality materials, and finished components with demanding specifications, means tracking down niche suppliers. It requires tenacity, speed and efficiency to meet project milestones. In essence, we need to be as inventive as Dyson engineers.
- Build ground up cost estimates for new projects currently being developed within Research Design and Development (RDD).
- Conduct reviews with Engineering to calculate future product costs and understand the associated risks and opportunities which could impact a product as it progresses through the development cycle.
- Use your experience and knowledge to influence product, assembly and component design to reduce cost where possible.
- Work closely with (challenge) Engineering, Operations, Procurement and Finance to agree achievable, but stretching Target costs.
- Work with Engineering and Procurement to develop new cost calculation tools.
- Minimize cost differences arising on the transfer of cost reports to the SEA Cost Team. Where differences arise ensure that these are fully understood and learning is fed back into the NPI phase.
- An engineering / manufacturing degree and preferably previous experience within a costing role.
- Demonstrable analytical ability gained in a previous engineering role or similar technical discipline.
- Experience of working with and influencing others outside of your immediate team.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- The ability to manage several projects at the same time and to work under pressure - often to tight deadlines.
- A knowledge of Dyson products and the design and development process is beneficial but not essential.
- 27 days holiday plus eight statutory bank holidays
- Pension scheme
- Performance related bonus
- Life assurance
- Sport centre
- Free on-site parking
- Subsidized café and restaurants
- Discounts on Dyson machines