Creative Head - NPC
£Competitive + Bonus + Pension + Private health + 27 days holiday + Free on-site gym
We need an inspirational Creative Head to lead projects in the New Product Communications team based at our Dyson HQ in Malmesbury. You will be responsible for the generation of creative strategies for Dyson’s new products. And the re-positioning of existing products. You will develop product visual communications strategies (claims, creative, design, and stories) for new and existing products. You will also be responsible for line managing, leading and inspiring the more junior members of the team (1 direct report). You will contribute to the running of the New Product Communications team – helping to define how we ‘frame’ and present creative strategies.
Dyson is growing. Fast. More products. New categories. More visual communications. We are a creative technology company with a global and iconic identity. Our mission is simple: We solve problems others ignore with exciting new technologies which defy convention. Communicating our products’ superiority with brevity and presenting ourselves in the right way is essential to selling, protecting identity, and building our hard earned Reputation. And every contact with our public contributes to the Dyson Experience, so each must reflect our values and philosophy. Perfectly.
Within the central Dyson Commercial Division exists the ‘Dyson Experience Group’. It comprises of three core creative and design teams based in Malmesbury (each with a different role) and three satellite design teams based in the US, EU and APAC (with identical roles). These teams all report into Jim Turner (Global Creative Director). The ‘New Product Communications Strategy Team’ is the first of the three core teams. Its central role is to research, design & develop messaging and creative direction (selling approach) for new and existing Dyson products, then transfer this output to the second of the core teams – the Campaigns and Infrastructures Team – for interpretation into fully integrated campaigns.
1, Deliver new (NPD) product/technology messaging and creative (visual communications) strategy that is compelling, competitive, legally substantiated, and Reputation building. This defines ‘how we sell’ our new products in existing and new categories. Research, design, test and develop these ‘upstream’ in collaboration with JDCR, the Claims, Standards & Insights Team, Category Engineering Director(s), Global Creative Director, and Category Commercial Director(s).
2, Deliver surprising and intriguing ‘engineering stories’ from the NPI and NPD engineering teams that add humanity, credibility and science drama to our product and technology visual communications strategies. Harvest these throughout the process in collaboration with the Engineering Director(s) and their teams, and ultimately populate the Stories Wheel.
3, Deliver modified messaging and creative strategy for existing products where repositioning is required to products and/or ranges due to the introduction of NPD. Ensure solutions are geared toward the commercial objectives Deliver tactical market specific product based messaging and creative strategy to combat threats or grab opportunities. Such projects will be prompted by Category Teams as and when required, authorised by JDCR. Then researched, designed, tested and developed in collaboration with the Claims, Standards & Insights Team, relevant Category Commercial Director(s), Local Marketing Director, and the Satellite Creative Director (when in place).
4, Deliver comprehensive New Product Communications Strategy kits for all the above, then ‘immersion and briefing’ sessions for the Integrated Campaigns Team who will take the strategy through to fully integrated campaigns. Own and shepherd the strategy through to the final campaign delivery, working in close collaboration with the Campaigns and Infrastructures teams and Category Commercial Team via a routine review and approval process.
5, The Dyson Link app is a fast evolving and complex extension of the product and shopper/owner experience. Develop an understanding of the vision, strategy and as much detail as possible for Link, and how our comms interface and add value to this aspect of the Dyson Experience.
6, Line Management of one creative (senior or middleweight, Lead and develop their work behind one philosophy that fuels the experiences that contribute to building the Dyson Reputation. Do this in close collaboration with the NPC Creative Director.
7, QC and control the work being presented upwards – to the NPC creative director, Global Creative Director, Chief Commercial Officer and JDCR – and outwards. Work needs to be thoroughly explored, considered, rationaled, chunked and well set-up for a positive outcome. Lead the presentations and ensure that all actions are clearly understood and followed up by the team.
8, you must be able to analyse test observations and data and turn them into insights; turn insights in creative strategies; and turn creative strategies into brilliant context driven communication hierarchies - with a unique creative idea and treatment. You must have an eye for detail, and obsess over accuracy. You must be a Dyson Ethos and Visual Identity expert and guardian, with a complete understanding of our identity guidelines. This will ensure that all the Dyson visual communications strategies you create not only clearly communicate the right messages, but present the messages in a ‘Dyson’ way.
Experience and skills require:
- Proven senior creative/creative head or creative lead from a media neutral background – able to work and think across all media touch points in the shopper journey
- A self-starting strategic thinker with an aggressive/competitive attitude
- An intimate knowledge and understanding of the Dyson Reputation – and how to ‘bake it in
- A fascination with science and product engineering, a strong eye for art and design – love of ‘products’ and an ability to capture and evangelise over every improvement, feature and benefit
- Excellent interrogation analytical skills – able to uncover insights, inspiration and possible message and visual direction routes from numerical/written data, field observation and desk research
- Comfortable with ‘failure’ in the context of multiple iterations of testing and learning
- Instinctively simplifies visual communications to distilled elegance, and knows when to use graphic wit (and when not)
- An expert eye for composition and layout – able to balance words, pictures and negative space – world class graphic design skills
- Strong typographical skills with an inherent understanding of using typefaces, weights, leading, line breaks, punctuation to create communication hierarchy and emphasis
- Expert in briefing writers, art directors, photographers, and film makers to deliver the right content, pace, tone, meaning
- Comfortable working quickly in a fast paced, ambiguous environment
- Highly motivated and collaborative – taking ownership of projects but at the same time being objective and responsive to feedback in what can be a devil’s advocate, challenge led environment
- Commercially focussed (instinctively understanding business context), able to span strategy (help define the brief and the plan), creative (the ideas), design (the devil and detail of the graphic design execution and finished assets), and have the highest standards in all areas of execution. Culminating in knowing when to make the right decisions in the interest of balancing time, quality and cost
- Possess a good understanding of variety of production processes – how they influence creative, how and when to engage producers, typical time constraints, typical quality constraints, typical cost constraints
- Excellent interpersonal skills, allowing them to work with a broad variety of specialist creative, engineering and marketing people in a spirit of collaboration and teamwork
Dyson monitors the market to ensure competitive salaries and pension contributions. Beyond that, you’ll also enjoy a company bonus and 27 days annual leave. But financial benefits are only the start of a Dyson career. Rapid professional growth, leadership development and new opportunities abound, driven by regular reviews and dynamic workshops. And with a vibrant culture, flexible working hours, the latest devices and a relaxed dress code reflecting our engineering spirit, it’s an exciting team environment geared to creativity, innovation and ambition.