Customer Experience Internship
$ Competitive + housing stipend
By 2020, Dyson will add new product categories and over 100 products to our portfolio – taking us far beyond the vacuums that started the company more than 20 years ago. What remains the same is our innovative culture, entrepreneurial spirit, and focus on wrong thinking that makes us who we are. At Dyson, we never stop transforming – our technologies and ourselves. And we’re looking for emerging leaders across our functions that are eager to learn by doing – not by watching.
Dyson’s Summer Internship Program is a chance for rising seniors and graduate students (those completing their programs in 2019) at accredited US colleges and universities to join what Fast Company has called one of The Most Innovative Companies in the World. Our internships are different - it’s one of the reasons we were ranked one of the Top 100 Internship Programs in the Country in 2017 – and you will have the opportunity to show your skills and make contributions that impact our owners, our people and our global business.
Dyson’s customer experience team is looking for dynamic project-based interns to join our team this summer in our Americas customer experience center in Aurora, IL (45 minutes outside of Chicago). Driven to turn owners into passionate advocates of the brand, our team makes each experience rewarding. It requires in-depth knowledge and genuine passion for Dyson technology. So we never miss an opportunity to talk about Dyson’s latest machines – and frequently sell products as well as solve problems. From letters and emails, to calls, online and social media, our team is constantly evolving to give better service. You will help us provide the best experience to our owners
What to expect from Dyson’s Summer Internship Program:
- We believe people should be paid for their work. Interns are no exception - these are full-time, paid internships including a housing stipend if you are from outside of the Chicagoland area.
- The program will run for approximately 10-12 weeks (May/June - August 2018), and flexible based on academic calendars)
- Lunch and learns from Dyson leaders on our business, our strategy, and more!
- Special intern-only outings and trainings
- Leadership opportunities
- A new customer experience center office in Aurora, IL
- Feedback from your manager, both during the program, and a summer-end recap to make sure you get the most of your time at Dyson
Dyson moves fast and no two days will be the same. Here are some highlights you can expect of your internship:
- onboarding – learning the fundamentals of our products, people and strategy.
- – shadow, learn and support the day-to-day of your function while making real contributions, learning new skills, and challenging you to begin driving your internship.
- : intro to your mission – work side-by-side with team members or other interns on large-scale projects or be assigned a functional project to lead yourself from beginning to end.
- – you will be expected to drive real projects forward and find new ways to contribute and grow as a leader. Through leadership trainings, skills challenges and day-to-day learning, you’ll grow by doing.
- – participate in design thinking workshops with the James Dyson Foundation and lead initiatives in our communities to help inspire the next generation of engineers.
- : Our internship programs will challenge you and prepare you to join our full-time leadership development programs after graduation. We’re look for the best of the best, and top talent may end their summer with an offer for our international marketing rotational program – giving you the chance to grow, learn and contribute in the US, across the Americas and around the world
Dyson is a global technology company. Using a desire to make things work better as a catalyst for invention, our team of 3,000 engineers and scientists are passionate about developing technology that solves the problems others often ignore. From the world’s first bagless vacuum cleaner, to hand dryers that use 420mph sheets of air to remove moisture from hands, to a completely re-thought hair dryer with its motor in the handle, we are relentless about engineering better solutions. Dyson spends $8.8 million a week on research and development and works with more than 40 universities worldwide to develop early-stage technologies.
Dyson launched in the US in 2002, with the DC07 vacuum cleaner. Within 2 years, it was market share leader. Now, the US team is nearly 1,000 strong, with offices in Chicago, IL; Aurora, IL; San Francisco, CA; and Dyson people around the entire country. And we are still growing. Dyson US is poised to double its footprint, and take on new categories. Already a target for our competitors, challenging times are ahead. And our battle-hungry US team is fired up.
Dyson is all about problem-solving and our Customer Experience center is no exception. There is no question our fully trained Advisors can’t answer. Driven to turn owners into passionate advocates of the brand, our team makes each experience rewarding. So we never miss an opportunity to talk about our latest machines, looking to sell our newest technology and upgrade the product portfolio into Dyson homes.
We’re not looking for similar experience. We’re looking for people who understand what it takes to deliver great customer service and have a passion for tackling projects that help us do it even better. If you’re motivated and have a positive approach, good people and project management skills and want to learn more, we can teach you the rest. If you also enjoy working in a fast-paced environment, are results focused, this is an excellent opportunity to build invaluable experience with a household name and industry leader.
You won’t just be an intern, you’ll be a key member of the Dyson team. You can expect to be tasked with project(s) that capitalize on your existing skills and stretch you out of your comfort zone. Your daily responsibilities will differ depending on the team you are on and the variety of business-critical projects means that no two roles will be alike, but you could expect some of the following responsibilities:
- Support the day-to-day customer experience responsibilities of the Americas market, working under the direction of our customer experience center supervisors and Head of Customer Experience
- Support training initiatives of our professional trainers and customer experience advisors
- Take on additional projects and support the contact center team where needed
- Shadow and support our advisors to better understand what it takes to provide customer service to our owners
- Support our quality assurance team to better address consumer needs
- Support analyzing metrics and data insights to better position our customer experience center for the second half of the year
- Assist and lead special projects to help our advisors provide better support on new products and the latest technologies
- Collaborate stakeholders from across the business to understand the role that the customer experience center plays in our customer journey
- Develop and recommend improvements to current operating procedures
- Contribute to a multitude of projects that emerge in a fast-paced environment
- Become an expert in Dyson products and the way we portray our brand
- Work with fellow interns and US Leadership Team on cross-functional project, presented to key stakeholders throughout the internship
- Rising undergraduate senior or graduate student (expected to graduate in Spring 2019)
- Interest in customer experience, including customer service, support, and sales
- Willing to relocate to Aurora, IL with opportunities to work with Dyson owners across the US and Canada
- Some business knowledge through coursework and/or other internship experiences (experience with consumer goods preferred)
- Ability to analyze and translate data-based findings into clear, relevant and actionable insights, or have a deep desire to further develop these skills
- Strong communication skills
- Experience working in cross-functional teams
- Detail oriented with excellent oral and written skills; the ability to interface effectively with key stakeholders at every level of the business
- Process-oriented thinker
- Proven ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Curiosity and a deep desire to learn
Dyson US ensures that our benefits allow you to make the most out of your life and career at Dyson. Dyson’s benefits take a holistic approach in order to serve our employees. But financial rewards or benefits are not at the core of what our employees receive. Rapid professional growth, leadership development and new opportunities abound, driven by regular reviews and dynamic workshops are also available to Dyson employees. And with Dyson being an equal opportunity employer that also possesses a vibrant culture, the latest devices and a relaxed dress code reflecting our engineering spirit, it’s an exciting team environment geared towards fueling and realizing every employees’ ambition.