Project Engineer - HVAC
This role sits within the HVAC team of our automotive function.
Malmesbury is tucked away in countryside famous for the landmarks of Isambard Brunel, who revolutionised modern engineering. A charming Wiltshire market town doesn’t sound like the place to develop world leading technology, but it’s just right for us. Our secluded location helps us to protect our ideas and stay independent–minded.
As part of the £2.5 billion investment, Dyson acquired a 517 acre plot in Hullavington. This former Royal Air Force base, just five miles from Dyson HQ, will increase our UK footprint tenfold. We’ll be turning old hangars into futuristic labs and workspaces – creating a campus to rival those in Silicon Valley.
* Coordinate, organise and assist with competitor benchmarking activities associated with Environmental Control
* Be responsible for working along-side external suppliers to deliver and integrate parts and assemblies
* Plan, coordinate and conduct system validation testing in line with the central project timeline
* Communicate with project members and senior management, including design reviews with James Dyson and/or Executive, as required.
* Deliver a complete system that is optimized on cost and weight
* Understand and apply engineering analysis tools to develop concepts and validate designs.
* Work closely with the other engineering disciplines to ensure that the product performance, reliability and cost expectations are met, all within the planned timeline of the project.
* Challenge and develop Dyson engineering practices to continuously improve efficiency.
• A degree in a relevant engineering, science or product design discipline with a demonstrable level of industrial experience in the design and development of mechanical systems or products.
Minimum technical experience and knowledge:
• Knowledge of manufacturing techniques of parts (moulding / machining / castings / stamping) and common issues with these with a broad understanding of material properties and manufacturing processes related to common engineering materials.
• An ability to demonstrate a good understanding of the fundamentals of mechanics and of the application of electronics.
• Strong “design-for-manufacture” mentality to deliver cost effective, high performance, reliable designs
• An understanding of practical and methodical design development through prototyping and testing.
• Good analytical ability and attention to detail
• Ability to communicate appropriate, concise and accurate information in written and verbal format
• Ability to adapt or generate imaginative and innovative ideas, in line with core Dyson values
• To be able to multi-task and plan effectively when working with a variety of project teams in an often high-pressure, competitive environment in an organised manner
• Excellent team working skills.
• Demonstrate strong motivation to get the job done.
• An appreciation of other engineering disciplines such as mechanistics, thermodynamics, and electrical systems.
• supplier liaison experience.
• full test experience.
• DFMEA, failure analysis/problem solving capability.
• Interest/passion associated with new technology, tech trends, up-coming developments
• Knowledge of the workings of HVAC systems
• Strong understanding in the use of 3D computer aided design (CAD) software packages.
• Develop 3D CAD, engineering drawings and tolerance stacks for mechanical and electrical components and assemblies along with test rigs and assembly jigs.