Design Engineer – Global Engineering
At Dyson we are encouraged to think differently, challenge convention and be unafraid to make mistakes. We’re engineers, creative, collaborative, practical and enthusiastic. But most of all we’re hugely passionate about what we do. Dyson offers a unique opportunity for talented individuals who wish to invent, design and develop leading products & technologies for the global market. By working in our world class Research Design and Development department, these individuals have the opportunity to work alongside other leading technical specialists and highly motivated creative people, to create products which fulfil our ambition of being truly different and better than our competitors.
We are looking for Senior Design Engineers to work within our Global Engineering team to develop innovative new technologies that meet or exceed our aspirations, enhancing the company’s technical advantage in its new products. Our Senior Design Engineers lead and collaborate within multi-disciplinary teams to develop class leading technologies from initial inception through to manufacture.
• Be responsible for delivering parts, assemblies and systems from concept to production. Lead other engineering colleagues as required to support this.
• Deliver designs that meet specification requirements and that are optimised for low cost, high volume manufacturing.
• Develop 3D CAD and engineering drawings for mechanical and electrical components and assemblies. Review and approve work completed by others.
• Understand and apply engineering analysis tools such as FEA and hand calculations to develop concepts and validate designs.
• Work with other project team engineers to ensure product performance, reliability and cost expectations are met. Demonstrate system level leadership to optimise product performance and solve complex engineering problems.
• Challenge and develop Dyson engineering practices to continuously improve design quality and efficiency.
• Communicate between all teams within RDD and Global Operations to ensure effective and timely input.
• Demonstrate clear presentation of technical information and supporting documentation to ensure accurate hand over either to other teams within the UK or Far East.
• A creative and agile mind, and a desire to develop your design and development skills in a fast pace environment.
• An ability to demonstrate a good understanding of the fundamentals of mechanics and an awareness of the integration of electronics.
• A broad understanding of material properties and manufacturing processes related to common engineering materials.
• A creative and considered approach to reasoning and problem solving
• A degree in a relevant engineering, science or product design discipline.
• An ability to work in both a cross-functional team environment and independently. Demonstrate strong motivation to get the job done.
• Persistent approach to problem solving and an inquisitive nature
• Previous experience designing manufactured products.
• Commercial awareness with a pragmatic approach to balance cost and value.
• Appreciation of the design considerations of high speed rotating machinery
• The role offers the opportunity for travel as required to support project transfer and engineering support at our manufacturing locations or to liaise with suppliers.