Design Engineer (Looms, Wiring, Cable Harness)
Dyson offers a unique opportunity for talented individuals who wish to invent, design and develop leading products for the global market. By working in our world class Research Design and Development department, these individuals have the opportunity to work alongside leading technical specialists and highly motivated creative people, to produce products which fulfill our ambition of being truly different and better than our competitors.
to our global Research, Design and Development centre and all of our Commercial
functions, Dyson HQ is tucked away in countryside famous for the railway
tunnels and bridges of Isambard Brunel, who revolutionised modern engineering.
Our secluded location helps us to protect our ideas and stay
independent-minded. Yet nearby are the fashionable cities of Bristol and Bath
(where a young James Dyson invented cyclone technology).
The building is the heartbeat of Dyson. Over 1,500 people, including James himself, spend their days strategizing, inventing technology and telling the Dyson story to the world. From 2016, our HQ will begin doubling its footprint with an ambitious new expansion.
Our Design engineering team is the idea factory of Dyson. It’s where we took the bag out of the vacuum. The blades out of a fan. And the heat out of hand dryers. With free-flowing curiosity and creativity, ideas are never in short supply. The key is deciding which ones could change the world and which should, for now, be shelved. This is done by the New Product Innovation team, who pass on the best ideas to New Product Development. Sketching, prototyping, testing, failing and refining follow. It can take months, even years. But those ideas that make it are big. The ones that transform markets.
• Experience of Design For Assembly
• Experience of wiring harness production techniques for high volume manufacture
• Experience of custom over-moulds, connector housings and terminals.
• Have an appreciation of cable articulation and Electromagnetic compatibility (EMC) testing
• Have an appreciation of bespoke connector design.
• Experience of working with Siemens Teamcenter would be advantageous.
• Experience of working with NX electrical routing or similar 3D & 2D harness CAD system would be advantageous
• Knowledge of relevant safety approvals standards (IEC, UL etc).
• Qualfications in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering.
• Clear logical thought with a sound understanding of fundamental physical science and general engineering principles.
• Able to demonstrate a good understanding of mechanisms and an awareness of the application of electrical principles and electronics.
• Idea generation – a creative problem solver who is intellectually sharp.
• Ability to multitask without losing focus in a rapidly changing environment.
• Persistent nature and an inquisitive approach.
• Ability to champion great design to produce products that meet all performance and functional criteria.
• Ability to communicate effectively across disciplines and business functions.