Design Engineer - NPD Floorcare
At Dyson we are encouraged to think differently, challenge convention and be unafraid to make mistakes. We’re creative, collaborative, practical and enthusiastic. But most of all we’re hugely passionate about what we do. Dyson offers a unique opportunity for talented individuals to invent, design and develop market leading products for the global market. By working in our world class Research Design and Development department, these individuals have the opportunity to work alongside leading technical specialists and highly motivated creative people, to create products which fulfil our ambition of being truly different and better than our competitors. Our Design Engineers work within our design teams to help meet or exceed the technical specification, cost and time requirements on our products. Working alongside Design Managers and Senior Engineers, our Design Engineers are encouraged to be thoroughly hands on when developing products from initial inception through to manufacture.
Home to our global Research, Design and Development centre and all of our Commercial functions, Dyson HQ is tucked away in countryside famous for the railway tunnels and bridges of Isambard Brunel, who revolutionised modern engineering. Our secluded location helps us to protect our ideas and stay independent-minded. Yet nearby are the fashionable cities of Bristol and Bath (where a young James Dyson invented cyclone technology). The building is the heartbeat of Dyson. Over 1,500 people, including James himself, spend their days strategizing, inventing technology and telling the Dyson story to the world. From 2016, our HQ will begin doubling its footprint with an ambitious new expansion.
Our Design engineering team is the idea factory of Dyson. It’s where we took the bag out of the vacuum. The blades out of a fan. And the heat out of hand dryers. With free-flowing curiosity and creativity, ideas are never in short supply. The key is deciding which ones could change the world and which should, for now, be shelved. This is done by the New Product Innovation team, who pass on the best ideas to New Product Development. Sketching, prototyping, testing, failing and refining follow. It can take months, even years. But those ideas that make it are big. The ones that transform markets.
- Apply innovative problem solving skills to support the vision specification for new product concepts.
- Participate in brainstorms and gather research to support new product concepts.
- Champion great design to produce products that meet all performance and functional criteria.
- Work with research teams to integrate and develop new technology research into the final design.
- Take an active, hands-on role to ensure that all engineering problems are resolved thoroughly.
- Use established Dyson development processes, good engineering practice and discipline to deliver robust design solutions in agreed timeframe.
- Maintain all supporting documentation to ensure accurate hand over either to other teams within the UK or Far East.
- Communicate between all teams within RDD and Global Operations to ensure effective and timely input.
- Prepare for (and participate in when required) design reviews with Design Managers and Concept Design Director.
- Design reviews with James Dyson and/or Executive, as required.
- Design engineering or mechanical engineering background,
- Experience automation / robotics or optical devices (such as lab equipment, webcams, sensors, cameras….)
- Understanding of systems engineering and design requirements to guarantee seamless communication with other disciplines
- Breadth of basic scientific knowledge including electronics fundamentals
- Strong expertise in engineering or scientific investigation:
- Root cause analysis
- System characterization
- Variable interactions
- Design of experiments
- Measurement systems
- Data analysis
- Expertise with ray tracing and optical simulation (not rendering packages for graphics)
- Background of computer science and programming skills (Python, C, Java, Matlab…)
- Thermal analysis and design expertise
Dyson monitors the market to ensure competitive salaries and pension contributions. Beyond that, you’ll also enjoy a profit-related bonus, generous leave and life insurance. But financial benefits are only the start of a Dyson career. Rapid professional growth, leadership development and new opportunities abound, driven by regular reviews and dynamic workshops. And with a vibrant culture, flexible working hours, the latest devices and a relaxed dress code reflecting our engineering spirit, it’s an exciting team environment geared to creativity, innovation and ambition.