Design Engineer - Product Safety
Here at Dyson we have a culture of ensuring inherent safety by design, beyond regulatory just regulatory standards. As the Design Engineer – Product Safety you will be instrumental in applying best practice of safety engineering throughout the development of Dyson processes. You will be focused on a specific product category, with a diverse and varied portfolio, providing safety insights to inform and guide decision making throughout the design and development process.
Home to our global Research, Design and Development centre and all of our Commercial functions, Dyson HQ is tucked away in countryside famous for the railway tunnels and bridges of Isambard Brunel, who revolutionised modern engineering. Our secluded location helps us to protect our ideas and stay independent-minded. Yet nearby are the fashionable cities of Bristol and Bath (where a young James Dyson invented cyclone technology). The building is the heartbeat of Dyson. Over 3,500 people, including James himself, spend their days strategizing, inventing technology and telling the Dyson story to the world.
Dyson products are built to last, as well as perform. To do this we invest heavily in performance and reliability testing, building our own machines to test our machines. 24 hours a day, seven days a week we put them through their paces. Working with our New Product Development design teams we are relentlessly improving our designs, product safety, reliability and customer satisfaction. Each generation of Dyson technology must set the benchmark for the next. And with so many new categories on the way, our Global Quality team will need to be more inventive than ever.
- Promote cultural awareness of product safety keeping informed and vigilant of global status while supporting any required corrective action
- Act as the focal point for category level safety development decisions, monitor and report throughout the project development life cycle
- Own and ensure project risks are assessed adequately and mitigations are in place and verified when required.
- Ensure engagement during development, emphasising shared responsibility in achieving safe and reliable design.
- Be the guardian of safety knowledge and data for a dedicated product category within the Dyson range.
- Support international teams to produce timely safety insight through a co-ordinated and structured approach.
- Collaborate with international and local teams to communicate product category updates, changes and statuses
- Actively advocate continuous improvement activity taken from existing market knowledge into future development programs supporting the needs and requirements of innovation and development teams.
- Select and conduct appropriate ad-hoc analysis to support and influence design direction and decision making.
- Degree educated with a preference to Electronics, Software or Systems Engineering or similar discipline
- Some knowledge and experience in systems engineering, specification management, design, validation and integration.
- An understanding in safety engineering/ product safety
- Broad technical strength across electrical systems, electronics and software with an understanding of basic mechanical engineering.
- An open and co-operative approach, empathetic of others with a pleasant and collaborative outlook. A team player.
- Comfortable working in ambiguity, within a fluid, dynamic environment with rapid changes in direction
Dyson monitors the market to ensure competitive salaries and pension contributions. Beyond that, you’ll also enjoy a profit-related bonus, generous leave and life insurance. But financial benefits are only the start of a Dyson career. Rapid professional growth, leadership development and new opportunities abound, driven by regular reviews and dynamic workshops. And with a vibrant culture, flexible working hours, the latest devices and a relaxed dress code reflecting our engineering spirit, it’s an exciting team environment geared to creativity, innovation and ambition.