You will join a growing team of design engineers in Dyson’s new product ideas group focussing on airflow systems for new and existing product categories demonstrating new core technology and a complete system design approach. The successful candidate will be expected to bring innovation to integrating mechanical, aerodynamic and ergonomic concepts while considering the impact on performance.
- Deliver design solutions that:
- Stretch the boundaries of airflow performance and efficiency in airflow systems in a number of different applications
- Are elegant and are designed with user interaction and ergonomics in mind
- Demonstrate a complete system approach to product layout considering all product requirements
- Meet target specifications such as cost, size, weight and efficiency within the planned timeline of each research project
- Are reliable and fit for purpose to satisfy life requirements and to help achieve product guarantee periods
- Comply with all relevant International Standards
- Are innovative / novel with strong / high value IP for Dyson products
- Communicate clearly and effectively the results and project status to a broad spectrum of associated project members and senior management
- Be responsible for delivering parts, assemblies and systems from concept to proof of principle.
- Develop 3D CAD, engineering drawings and tolerance stacks for mechanical and electrical components and assemblies along with test rigs and assembly jigs.
- Deliver designs, concepts and detailed ideas for airflow system components and layouts for associated products that meet specification requirements and that are optimised for low cost, high volume manufacturing
- Understand and apply engineering analysis and hand calculations to develop concepts and validate designs
- Work with other project team engineers to ensure product performance, reliability and cost expectations are met
- Challenge and develop Dyson engineering practices to continuously improve efficiency
- Demonstrate clear presentation of technical information and supporting documentation to ensure accurate transfer to other teams within Dyson.
Education and experience:
- A degree in a relevant engineering, science or product design discipline with a demonstrable level of industrial experience in the design and development of mechanical systems.
Minimum technical experience and knowledge:
- Ability to use 3D computer aided design (CAD) software packages
- Strong hands on ethos with workshop experience
- Enthusiasm for a design → build → test → iterate, design process
- A creative and agile mind, and a desire to develop your design and development skills in a fast pace environment
- An ability to demonstrate a thorough approach to reasoning and problem solving
- An ability to work in both a cross-functional team environment and independently
- Demonstrate strong motivation to get the job done
- Ability to orchestrate work across a number of different projects and platforms simultaneously.
- Knowledge of tolerance stack analysis
- Experience using Siemens NX8.0 CAD software
- An appreciation of other engineering disciplines such aerodynamics, thermodynamics, CFD analysis and electrical, electronics and electromagnetic systems
Appreciation of relevant motor technology or high speed rotating machinery
An understanding of fluid dynamics - the relationships between air flow rate and developed pressure within compressors
Experience in acoustic development of airflow systems – Source of noise, noise measurement, noise reduction
Experience of air flow measurement techniques
Experience of compressor development