Our Design Engineers work within our design teams to help meet or exceed the technical specification, cost and time requirements on our products. Working alongside Design Managers and Senior Engineers, our Design Engineers are encouraged to be thoroughly hands on when developing products from initial inception through to manufacture.
In 2000, Dyson moved production from Malmesbury to Malaysia to be closer to our supply chains and open up international growth. The small team of 10 has now grown to almost 1,200 – forming Dyson’s second biggest global hub. Located in the exhilarating industrial heart of Johor, it’s also home to RDD, IT, operations, finance, creative and HR.
The RDD facility is central to our plans to launch 100 new machines in the next four years. To meet these ambitions, we recently expanded the site to 30,000m², with 50 advanced technology labs and 700 new engineers. In the Dyson world, there’s no more exciting place to be.
Our Design engineering team is the idea factory of Dyson. It’s where we took the bag out of the vacuum. The blades out of a fan. And the heat out of hand dryers. With free-flowing curiosity and creativity, ideas are never in short supply. The key is deciding which ones could change the world and which should, for now, be shelved. This is done by the New Product Innovation team, who pass on the best ideas to New Product Development. Sketching, prototyping, testing, failing and refining follow. It can take months, even years. But those ideas that make it are big. The ones that transform markets.
Create/implement great technology to produce high quality reliable products that meet all performance and functional criteria
Ensure the safety and reliability of all Dyson products
Work with RDD teams to create/integrate & develop new technology research into the final design
Take an active role to ensure that all engineering problems are resolved thoroughly & validated through appropriate test methods
Use established Dyson methodology, good engineering practice & discipline to deliver robust design solutions in agreed timeframe
Maintain supporting documentation to ensure accurate handovers
Communicate between all relevant teams to ensure effective & timely input - these may be external as well as internal teams
Prepare for design/Research reviews & participate in as required
Mentor graduates/new team members
Own/contribute to team/department level initiatives & change projects
You’re driven, confident and ambitious. You take responsibility and accountability and are willing to take on a challenge.
- Good Degree CGPA 3.0 and above qualified in an Engineering preferably mechanical, electromechanical, product design
- Minimum 3 years working experience in product design environment – direct involvement in plastic part design ( is compulsory), tooling, plastic injection molding, assembly process, statistical process control.
- Good experience in home appliances product R&D, familiar with product development processes and best practice.
- Good working knowledge of 3D CAD (preferably Unigraphics) and technical drawing.
- Good working knowledge of Excel, Word and PowerPoint
- Good knowledge of materials and its application
- Good understanding of prototyping and product verification testing.
- Good knowledge in component manufacturing processes and techniques,
- Strong ability to plan, prioritise and co-ordinate with work of others
Dyson Malaysia monitors the market to ensure competitive salaries, bonuses and pension contributions. Beyond that, you’ll enjoy generous leave, a transport allowance and medical care and insurance. But financial benefits are just the start of a Dyson career. Rapid professional growth, leadership development and new opportunities abound, driven by regular reviews and dynamic workshops. And with a vibrant culture, the latest devices and a relaxed dress code reflecting our engineering spirit, it’s an exciting team environment geared to fuelling and realising ambition.