Design Engineer - New Category
Dyson offers a unique opportunity for a talented and experienced Design Engineer to join a New Category within our HQ based in Wiltshire.
Home to our global Research, Design and Development centre and all of our Commercial functions, Dyson HQ is tucked away in countryside famous for the railway tunnels and bridges of Isambard Brunel, who revolutionised modern engineering. Our secluded location helps us to protect our ideas and stay independent-minded. Yet nearby are the fashionable cities of Bristol and Bath (where a young James Dyson invented cyclone technology).
The building is the heartbeat of Dyson. Over 1,500 people, including James himself, spend their days strategizing, inventing technology and telling the Dyson story to the world. From 2016, our HQ will begin doubling its footprint with an ambitious new expansion.
Our design engineering team is the idea factory of Dyson. It’s where we took the bag out of the vacuum. The blades out of a fan. And the heat out of hand dryers. With free-flowing curiosity and creativity, ideas are never in short supply. The key is deciding which ones could change the world and which should, for now, be shelved. This is done by the New Product Innovation team, who pass on the best ideas to New Product Development. Sketching, prototyping, testing, failing and refining follow. It can take months, even years. But those ideas that make it are big – the kind that transform markets.
You will deliver design solutions that:
- Stretch the boundaries of airflow performance and efficiency in airflow systems in a number of different applications
- Demonstrate a complete system approach to product layout considering all product requirements
- Meet target specifications such as cost, size, weight and efficiency within the planned timeline of each research project
- Are reliable and fit for purpose to satisfy life requirements and to help achieve product guarantee periods
- Comply with all relevant International Standards
- Are innovative / novel with strong / high value IP for Dyson products
- Communicate clearly and effectively the results and project status to a broad spectrum of associated project members and senior management
- Be responsible for delivering parts, assemblies and systems from concept to proof of principle.
- Develop 3D CAD, engineering drawings and tolerance stacks for mechanical and electrical components and assemblies along with test rigs and assembly jigs.
- Deliver designs, concepts and detailed ideas for airflow system components and layouts for associated products that meet specification requirements and that are optimised for low cost, high volume manufacturing
- Understand and apply engineering analysis and hand calculations to develop concepts and validate designs
- Work with other project team engineers to ensure product performance, reliability and cost expectations are met
- Challenge and develop Dyson engineering practices to continuously improve efficiency
- Demonstrate clear presentation of technical information and supporting documentation to ensure accurate transfer to other teams within Dyson.
Education and experience:
- A degree in a relevant engineering, science or product design discipline with a demonstrable level of industrial experience in the design and development of mechanical or aero-acoustic systems.
Minimum technical experience and knowledge:
- Ability to use 3D computer aided design (CAD) software packages
- Strong hands on ethos with workshop experience
- Enthusiasm for a design → build → test → iterate, design process
- A creative and agile mind, and a desire to develop your design and development skills in a fast pace environment
- An ability to demonstrate a thorough approach to reasoning and problem solving
- An ability to work in both a cross-functional team environment and independently
- Demonstrate strong motivation to get the job done
- Ability to orchestrate work across a number of different projects and platforms simultaneously.
- Knowledge of tolerance stack analysis
- Data analysis with MATLAB/Excel/Python etc.
- Experience using Siemens NX8.0 CAD software
- An appreciation of other engineering disciplines such aerodynamics, thermodynamics, acoustics, CFD, FEA and electronic systems
Appreciation of relevant motor technology or high speed rotating machinery
An understanding of fluid dynamics - the relationships between air flow rate and developed pressure within air flow systems
Experience in acoustic development of airflow systems – Source of noise, noise measurement, noise reduction
Experience of air flow measurement techniques
Experience in turbomachinery development
Programming – for example MATLAB, Arduino, VBA
Design of experiment methodology
Dyson monitors the market to ensure competitive salaries and pension contributions. Beyond that, you’ll also enjoy a profit-related bonus, generous leave and life insurance. But financial benefits are only the start of a Dyson career. Rapid professional growth, leadership development and new opportunities abound, driven by regular reviews and dynamic workshops. And with a vibrant culture, flexible working hours, the latest devices and a relaxed dress code reflecting our engineering spirit, it’s an exciting team environment geared to creativity, innovation and ambition.