Graduate Design Engineer - Quality
£Competitive + Pension, Bonus, 27 Days Holiday
We demand the most from our products and we want to exceed our customers’ expectations from purchase and onward throughout the product’s life. In this technical role the Engineer will report into Dyson’s Regional Quality Team supporting European markets, with safety, satisfaction and reliability forming the three critical elements of the role.
By understanding the quality & reliability issues of our products in-market, their root causes, and the associated impact on quality perception, they will help to build an evidence-based picture to bring to life the voice of the customer.
In this varied role, reporting out to Quality Category Teams and the wider business, you will continuously assess in-market product performance and operational process adherence, supporting year-on-year improvements in design.
Early Warning Activities
Provide monthly reporting of service part usage, highlighting any emerging issues to support Reliability in prioritising activity for investigation. Obtain data from multiple market sources & analyse to extract trends and escalate accordingly. Including retailer data, local service centres, contact centres, review of model & part usage & general in-market feedback. Collate and summarise market feedback with relevant sizing to support the financial justification for implementing changes. Undertake monthly product audits in UK & EU warehouses to support the Quality team with continuous improvement of manufacturing process.
Identify any customer reported issues from all possible channels of communication and escalate accordingly. Support with estimating the size of reported issues, recovery of samples, investigations and audit of process adherence as required.
New Product Launch Activity
Audit newly released products at point of entry to market to provide confidence in product quality at launch. Report any product issues appropriately and provide clear information to support decision making on stock release. Review and summarise customer market commentary over the first three months of sales to identify issues quickly, including contact centre interactions, online reviews and retailer feedback. Perform basic engineering analysis of returned faulty parts or products in order to identify the actual failure modes driving customer complaints. Act as a point of contact in market for product information, providing clear & concise updates of product quality and escalating any reported issues to the wider business.
Customer Data Analysis
Analyse data from online customer reviews in order to identify the main symptoms of customer likes and dislikes. Undertake customer comment Paretos of data recorded by the customer service team in order to identify the main symptoms of customer complaints.
Support the customer service & legal teams with any liability claims, providing engineering insight into reported issues. Provide reports to engineering & the local market on cost to business and trends in failures. Provide engineering support to other areas of the business when necessary. Activities may include but not limited to customer care and service support, product refurbishment, technical training, product rework and product compliance. Support the Quality Insight team with the organisation and delivery of trials for new products and prototypes in the home environments in order to identify issues before launch.
- A degree in a relevant engineering or science discipline (or equivalent qualification)
- Excellent general communication skills, both written and verbal
- Strong analytical problem solving skills with a keen attention to detail
- Excellent organisation skills with the ability to multi-task and manage time across multiple activities
- Knowledge and understanding of common manufacturing processes for domestic appliances and basic quality control processes
- Willingness to get stuck in, get your hands dirty and be a flexible team player
- Desire to continually improve products and processes
- Ability to work effectively as part of a cross functional team with the wider business functions
- Capability to report complex technical issues upwards to Exec level with clarity and confidence
- Competent Microsoft Office Excel skillset
- Flexibility to travel, sometimes at short notice within your region
- Multilingual language speakers preferred, but not essential