At Dyson we are encouraged to think differently, challenge convention and be unafraid to make mistakes. We’re creative, collaborative, practical and enthusiastic. But most of all we’re hugely passionate about what we do. Dyson offers a unique opportunity for talented individuals who wish to invent, design and develop leading products for the global market. By working in our world class Research Design and Development department, these individuals have the opportunity to work alongside leading technical specialists and highly motivated creative people, to create products which fulfill our ambition of being truly different and better than our competitors.
In 2000, Dyson moved production from Malmesbury to Malaysia to be closer to our supply chains and open up international growth. The small team of 10 has now grown to almost 1,200 – forming Dyson’s second biggest global hub. Located in the exhilarating industrial heart of Johor, it’s also home to RDD, IT, operations, finance, creative and HR. The RDD facility is central to our plans to launch 100 new machines in the next four years. To meet these ambitions, we recently expanded the site to 30,000m², with 50 advanced technology labs and 700 new engineers. In the Dyson world, there’s no more exciting place to be.
Our design engineering team is the idea factory of Dyson. It’s where we took the bag out of the vacuum. The blades out of a fan. And the heat out of hand dryers. With free-flowing curiosity and creativity, ideas are never in short supply. The key is deciding which ones could change the world and which should, for now, be shelved. This is done by the New Product Innovation team, who pass on the best ideas to New Product Development. Sketching, prototyping, testing, failing and refining follow. It can take months, even years. But those ideas that make it are big – the kind that transform markets.
- The Design Manager role sits within the Product Category area of the Dyson Matrix system, reporting to the Head of Category. The key responsibilities of the Design Manager is to further develop and deliver projects following transfer from the UK into production in South East Asia.
- The Design Manager is accountable for the delivery of the Product, Key Claims and specifications.
- Drawing on the expertise available within the cross functional support teams. The role requires expert leadership; technical knowledge and management skills to ensure the products are delivered on time, to specification and on cost.
- A good understanding of the design development process, principles and challenges is key.
- Plastic injection moulding, materials and manufacturing knowledge is also required.
- Excellent communication and reporting skills are essential as presenting, reporting progress, risks and live design reviews are required to Directors and the Chief Engineer James Dyson. Communication with the UK team will be required regularly.
- Travel to the UK is expected however is minimal.
- An inquisitive mind and problem solving hands on approach is required as projects are technically challenging accompanied with tight specifications and deadlines.
- Day to day direction, coaching and decision making of the cross function team is essential, ensuring that all Mechanical , Electrical, UI UX , assemblies and Systems integrate to form the overall product.
- The Design manager is expected to understand the key technologies and design in detail, while having a broad understanding of the requirements from the support teams ie approvals, graphics and operations etc.
- Initially the role will be working alongside a current Design Manager on a live project for a provisional period with a view to move on to take responsibility for another product. This is to ensure a clear transition into the role in preparation for full project responsibilities.
- Degree in Mechanical Engineering / industrial design or relevant discipline or equivalent.
- 10 years in a design, engineering industry
- Technical and personal credibility to work effectively in cross-functional design teams throughout the project development cycle.
- Previous experience designing manufactured products.
- Previous experience in design management and delivery of products through a cross functional team network
- Knowledge and understanding of multiple tooling and manufacturing techniques.
- Proven experience of delivering robust design solutions on time, to specification and within cost and budget constraints.
- A creative and considered approach to problem solving, following clear design processes.
- Practical and methodical design development through prototyping and testing.
- Ability to plan ahead, priorities tasks and coordinate with the work of others.
- Good commercial awareness with pragmatic approach to product development with a business focus
- Excellent communication, problem solving and analytical skills
- Self starter - ability to work independently
- Successful track record of robust delivery of products and assemblies
- Technical and personal credibility to work effectively with cross functional teams and other business functions
- Ability to lead and motivate others to achieve outstanding results
Dyson Malaysia monitors the market to ensure we offer competitive salaries, management bonuses and pension contributions. Beyond that, you’ll enjoy generous leave and medical care and insurance. But financial benefits are only the start of a career at Dyson. Leadership support and new opportunities abound, driven by regular dialogue and international training. And with a vibrant culture, the latest devices and a relaxed dress code reflecting our engineering spirit, it’s an exciting team environment geared to progress, innovation and realizing ambition.