Dyson Communications Manager
Starting salary will be determined based on experience and credentials.
New York, NY
Dyson’s challenge in the Americas is changing the perception of an iconic brand. Dyson is a household name in the U.S. But for a majority of the population, we are known as a vacuum cleaner company. And while Dyson was the impetus for change in the industry, vacuum cleaners (especially uprights) are now a commoditized category once again. Luckily, Dyson is now much more than just vacuums. We are a global technology and we are ever expanding our range of categories, with 100 new products coming over the next four years. We are shaping the future for this organization and are looking for talented individuals who are not afraid to take on tough challenges and build capabilities from scratch. The ability for Dyson Americas to increase awareness around this transformation is critical to our success.
This newly created role will lead major initiatives within Dyson communications to drive media and consumer interest in all things Dyson. The communications team will develop and drive a wide variety of projects, including product launches, awareness campaigns, media relations, copywriting, events and more. This role is instrumental for Dyson in the US. As a member of the wider communications team, you will play a critical part in developing a strategy and converting that strategy into action. You will work to increase brand awareness, achieving coverage of Dyson in all media channels —to ultimately aid sales and make Dyson a household name. Are you up for the challenge?
Dyson is a global technology company. Using a desire to make things work better as a catalyst for invention, our team of 3,000 engineers and scientists are passionate about developing technology that solves the problems others often ignore. From the world’s first bagless vacuum cleaner, to hand dryers that use 420mph sheets of air to remove moisture from hands, to a completely re-thought hair dryer with its motor in the handle, we are relentless about engineering better solutions. Dyson spends $8.8million a week on research and development and works with more than 40 universities worldwide to develop early-stage technologies.
Dyson launched in the US in 2002, with the DC07 vacuum cleaner. Within 2 years, it was market share leader. Now, the US team is nearly 1,000 strong, with offices in Chicago, IL; Aurora, IL; San Francisco, CA; and Dyson people around the entire country. And we are still growing. Dyson US is poised to double its footprint, and take on new categories. Already a target for our competitors, challenging times are ahead. And our battle-hungry US team is fired up.
The communications team at Dyson is responsible for driving awareness, interest, excitement and true understanding of Dyson — its ethos, its products, and its future.
- Develop media strategies for key product launches, campaigns, and Dyson’s overall reputation – and execute
- Create PR campaigns and partnerships that propel Dyson’s reputation forward
- Secure regular coverage through technology stories and creative pitches that appeal to key audiences
- Be an active member of a global PR team — serve as a US expert, inform our global strategy, share best practices, identify opportunities and trends
- Oversee day-to-day agency work to drive key results
- Partner with marketing, social media and content teams to ensure integrated and effective communications, and creatively bolster key initiatives through channels outside of traditional media
- Copywriting and editing across a range of written communications including press releases, pitches, social media posts and more
- Monitor press coverage about Dyson and relevant industries; recommend new approaches to spark awareness of Dyson in the US
- Set aspirational goals and don’t stop at results — continuously evaluate work and implement learnings
- Bachelor’s Degree
- 7-10 years of communications experience
- Passionate about technology, eager to try new products and interested in health, wellness and beauty.
- Understands US media and has a proven ability to develop, pitch, and secure press stories.
- Demonstrates strategic thinking and ability to focus on the long term while crafting and executing on supporting tactics.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills - takes an assertive, persuasive, and articulate approach when presenting complex information.
- Creative, innovative and eager to explore new approaches. Promotes considered risk taking, balanced by good judgment and logical reasoning.
- Thrives in a fast-moving, ever-changing environment.
- Self-driven team player. Builds strong relationships and works co-operatively with others while also operating efficiently and effectively as an individual contributor.
- Approaches work with energy, a positive attitude, and a good sense of humor. Likes to work hard and has fun doing it.
- Strong organization and project management skills; able to manage and stick to budgets and deadlines.