Electronics Systems Engineer
£Competitive + 27 Days + Bonus + Pension
Working closely with the product design manager and multi-disciplinary teams of hardware and software design engineers to take a project through from design concept to production.
Co-ordinating between the engineering disciplines within electronics to define the electronics system architecture solution and how it translates into design specifications for the individual hardware and software development teams. The role will require you to take ownership of Systems Engineering activities for the electronics sub-system throughout the project lifecycle.
Home to our global Research, Design and Development centre and all of our Commercial functions, Dyson HQ is tucked away in countryside famous for the railway tunnels and bridges of Isambard Brunel, who revolutionised modern engineering. Our secluded location helps us to protect our ideas and stay independent-minded. Yet nearby are the fashionable cities of Bristol and Bath (where a young James Dyson invented cyclone technology).
- Requirements capture & management: capture internal customer & end user needs and distil into functional and non-functional requirements. Working closely with the ‘New Product Innovations Team’ to analyse and translate the embryonic product needs into Electronics System requirements.
- System Architecture definition: from the agreed system requirements support the definition of candidate system architectures. Participate in trade-off studies and decision analysis to arrive at an agreed functional & physical architecture solution.
- Manage the derivation & flow-down to lower-level subsystem and module level component requirements.
- Use a model based systems engineering (MBSE) approach to capture the product use cases, requirements, system architecture, behaviours and interfaces.
- Support the hardware and software engineering teams in the integration of modules, subsystems and functions to form the final working product.
Support wireless connectivity aspects of the product related to Wi-Fi and Bluetooth. Work closely with the User Interface team and the internet connectivity teams to identify and specify control and data interactions with the Cloud and mobile app.
Work closely with safety and reliability teams to ensure the product meets all applicable standards.
Provide estimates of engineering effort to assist in the planning and scheduling of activities.
- A good degree in electronic engineering, physics, computing or similar subject
- Sound understanding of requirements management and the system design process.
- Experience of the full engineering lifecycle from requirements capture through to test and integration, and all associated documentation.
- Flexible and enthusiastic with ability to deliver on schedule
- Excellent communication and inter-personal skills, with the ability to interact with subject matter experts across a range of technical and operational topics.
- Ability to produce clear and concise technical design documentation
- Team Player capable of working jointly with others from various disciplines to reach a consensus agreement.
- Good organisational skills, able to plan and manage tasks ,working independently as well as part of a team.
- Working knowledge of Design tools (e.g. Sparx EA, Rhapsody, UML, SYSML)
- Embedded software development experience
- Experience of internet connectivity and related protocols
- System design of small or medium sized projects
- Experience of all stages of the software development lifecycle from requirements elicitation to software validation.