Senior Cost Engineer
£Competitive, benefits include - 27 Days Holiday + Bonus + Pension
This role sits within the Cost Analysis team of our automotive function.
Malmesbury is tucked away in countryside famous for the landmarks of Isambard Brunel, who revolutionised modern engineering. A charming Wiltshire market town doesn’t sound like the place to develop world leading technology, but it’s just right for us. Our secluded location helps us to protect our ideas and stay independent–minded.
As part of the £2.5 billion investment, Dyson acquired a 650 acre plot in Hullavington. This former Royal Air Force base, just five miles from Dyson HQ, will increase our UK footprint tenfold. We’ll be turning old hangars into futuristic labs and workspaces – creating a campus to rival those in Silicon Valley.
We’ve begun work on a battery electric vehicle – that’s no secret. It has remained our ambition to solve the worldwide problem of air pollution for nearly 30 years. Now that we have the ability to bring all our technologies together into a single product, we’re able to solve this problem at the source. For now, it’s all about finding the right people to make it all happen for 2020.
- Build ground up ‘should cost’ estimates for new components, assemblies and projects currently being developed within Research Design and Development (RDD).
- Conduct reviews with Engineering to calculate future product costs and understand the associated risks and opportunities which could impact a product as it progresses through the development cycle. Use your experience and knowledge to influence product, assembly and component design to reduce cost where possible.
- Represent the Cost Management Team at project milestone reviews. Clarity of what makes up the product cost and what drives any variance to target will be essential. Be prepared to answer questions and challenge others at this cross functional meeting and deliver any cost actions arising.
- Work with Engineering and Procurement to develop new cost calculation ‘should cost’ tools.
- Work closely with Engineering, Operations, Procurement and Finance to agree achievable, but stretching Target costs for each assembly.
- Actively look to develop current reports and processes to continuously improve the timeliness, accuracy and quality of cost reporting in the context of the rapidly expanding Dyson RDD environment.
- Reverse engineer Products at a detailed level to creating cost comparison information to guide the NPI teams during the early development of new Dyson technologies (Cost Value Analysis).
- Actively seek out and drive the implementation of cost reduction measures to improve product profitability.
- Use your experience of manufacturing processes to enable the engineers to choose the most cost effective process to produce their parts.
- Analyse the suppliers manufacturing processes too and collaboratively identify how they can reduce their own costs and pass those savings on to us.
- Make or Buy - Complete make/buy studies where appropriate to help establish best most cost effective solution for production.
- Risks and Opportunities – develop a targeted list of cost risks and opportunities and work to realize the opportunities and mitigate the risks ahead of SOP.
- A degree in engineering or another directly relevant subject is needed with financial / business qualifications an added benefit (but not a pre requisite).
- Analytical ability demonstrated through previous engineering work.
- Direct experience working with and a deep understanding of development, manufacturing, packaging and consumer products. Familiarity with key industry players and influencing factors.
- Experience of working with and influencing managers and executives outside your direct reporting line.
- Experience within a high volume manufacturing environment will be a key requirement for the role.
- Strong knowledge of alternative manufacturing techniques and processes with global impact.
- Proven track record in working to tight timescales within a project programme, managing your budget and prioritising to deliver cost effective results.
- Tenacity in getting to understand an issue and challenging others in a constructive manner.
- Previous experience in working within a cost environment is essential.
- Strong communication skills in one-to-one situations, in a team environment and when presenting to senior managers and executives.
- Ability to manipulate large amounts of data.
- High aptitude for problem solving in order to resolve business, financial, customer, and organizational issues.
- Proven interpersonal and teamwork skills.
- Must possess highly effective analytical skills in areas of accounting, critical thinking, analysis and communication.
Dyson monitors the market to ensure competitive salaries and pension contributions. Beyond that, you’ll also enjoy a profit-related bonus, generous leave and life insurance. But financial benefits are only the start of a Dyson career. Rapid professional growth, leadership development and new opportunities abound, driven by regular reviews and dynamic workshops. And with a vibrant culture, flexible working hours, the latest devices and a relaxed dress code reflecting our engineering spirit, it’s an exciting team environment geared to creativity, innovation and ambition.