Engineering Manager - EC
With a focus on core EC technology areas of Filtration, Conditioning, Sensing, Drives and Looms the Technical Assembly team are responsible for ensuring the correct design, specification, selection, testing and supply chain capability for these areas being the main point of contact and building special relationships with experts in Global Engineering and the Supply Chain.
The RDD facility is central to our plans to launch 100 new machines in the next four years. To meet these ambitions, we recently expanded the site to 30,000m², with 50 advanced technology labs and 700 new engineers. In the Dyson world, there’s no more exciting place to be.
• Leads a team to create/develop products/technologies that meet or exceed the technical specification, cost, time, reliability & quality requirements.
• Ensure the safety and reliability of all products, assemblies and parts design.
• Responsible for leadership of the team, ensuring deliverables are met to a high standard and that the team and individuals capability are aligned to the business requirements.
• Work seamlessly with research teams to utilise the wealth of technical skills to get best value from Dyson technologies.
• Challenge & develop engineering practices to continuously improve technologies/design/product quality.
• Ensure accurate communication between teams, Plan, organize and direct testing, processing and analysing of product improvement and failure mode.
• Active participation in design/manufacturing/research reviews.
• Mentor Graduates, Engineers, Senior Engineers and Engineering Team Lead.
• Understands risks associated with a project; monitors and suggests mitigation plans.
• Responsible for delivering parts, assemblies and design requirements from development stage to production part/tooling approval complete.
• Drives continuous improvement initiatives to embed learning into working practices and streamlining processes.
• Accountable for effective communication and handovers between teams.
• Accountable for ensuring readiness of projects for design/research review and any resulting actions.
• Plans resources and leads recruitment for their team.
• In-depth knowledge & at least 10-15 years of mechanical design experience ideally related to consumer product design R&D, relevant technologies or mechanical engineering.
• Proven people management skills e.g. ability to coach, give feedback.
• At least 10 years of managing a team.
• Proven ability to coach and mentor others.
• Able to provide technical direction and informed decision making across a breadth of projects.
• Ability to balance priorities and deliverables across multiple projects/teams.
• Good commercial awareness with pragmatic approach to balance cost and value with quality and reliability.
• Lead projects related to cost, quality, design and productivity using methodology such as Tolerance Stack, Process Capability, DFMEA, Minitab, etc.
• A well rounded mix of experimental, theoretical and design skills.
• Sound understanding of basic physical principles, manufacturing, & research & development through analysis, prototyping and testing.
• Demonstrate Knowledge & understanding of multiple tooling & manufacturing techniques in plastic and metal.
• Demonstrate a thorough approach and ability to work proactively to reasoning and problem solving, and a desire to develop their design and development skills further.
• At least a Bachelor Degree in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent