Pilot Operations Manager
The Pilot Operations Manager will be responsible for recruiting and leading a team of experts to deliver all future pre-production builds. Initially the role will encompass facilitation of a purpose built build facility. The correct candidate will have a proven automotive background, with demonstrable pre-production build experience, an excellent working knowledge of automotive prototyping techniques, and hold a broad understanding of industry engineering processes through to production. This role includes working with the full product team and reporting to senior management.
Malmesbury is tucked away in countryside famous for the landmarks of Isambard Brunel, who revolutionised modern engineering. A charming Wiltshire market town doesn’t sound like the place to develop world leading technology, but it’s just right for us. Our secluded location helps us to protect our ideas and stay independent–minded. As part of the £2.5 billion investment, Dyson acquired a 650 acre plot in Hullavington. This former Royal Air Force base, just five miles from Dyson HQ, will increase our UK footprint tenfold. We’ll be turning old hangars into futuristic labs and workspaces – creating a campus to rival those in Silicon Valley.
We’ve begun work on a battery electric vehicle – that’s no secret. It has remained our ambition to solve the worldwide problem of air pollution for nearly 30 years. Now that we have the ability to bring all our technologies together into a single product, we’re able to solve this problem at the source. For now, it’s all about finding the right people to make it all happen for 2020.
• Delivery of all Pre-production entities (including partial re-builds) through X, M and VP phases. Including Logistics, Sub-Assembly, Assembly, Commissioning, Shakedown and EOL.
• Implementation of an agile workforce to deliver all future pre-production build phases
• Supporting the detailed definition of all equipment required at a pre-production build phase, interacting with SME’s, Supply-chain, Estates and Architects.
• Engaging with key supply-chain to support a robust nomination of high value equipment orders, and on-time delivery
• Co-management of facility commissioning (daily planning), including opening ceremony. Reporting progress to Snr Management
• Daily Issues Resolution, reporting all operational concerns to Snr management.
• Setting shift-patterns (when applicable), contractor maintenance timing, and shutdown process
• Supporting facility management implementation (maintenance and infrastructure updates)
• Support major programme reviews
• Implementation of a technician apprenticeship scheme within the automotive team
• Offering Mentorship to the team to enable best practice processes implementation
• Lead H&S policy within the workshop environment, ensuring maintenance of guidelines and strict adherence by Pilot team to LOL
• Excellent leadership skills, capable of leading a team of leaders.
• Confident presenter, comfortable reporting to a large team on a regular basis
• Confident leading meetings and ability to evaluate technical problems to ensure clear direction.
• Ability to communicate appropriate, concise and accurate information, both in writing and verbally
• Previous experience in an Automotive operations environment (10+ years preferred)
• Previous experience in facility commissioning
• Previous experience interacting with complex supply-chain on tight time scales
• Previous experience of whole vehicle prototype builds (10+ years preferred)
• Significant knowledge of automotive design, vehicle systems and technology and be familiar with key areas of body, chassis, electrical and powertrain
27 days holiday plus eight statutory bank holidays Pension scheme Performance related bonus Life assurance Sports centre Free on-site parking Lift share scheme Subsidised café and restaurants Discount on Dyson machines Medical and Dental Cover