Finance Graduate (Leadership Development Program)
Program start: June/July 2018
We’re scaling. Fast. With new products across new categories and more people joining the team in more markets, our finance team is growing to support our business. Throughout the duration of this rotational development program, our Finance Graduates will be immersed in our finance function in Chicago, across the Americas, and around the world. Encompassing our sales finance organization, FP&A, insights center of excellence and more, Dyson’s Finance team is looking for dynamic, detail-oriented and analytical talent with an interest in learning new skills and taking on real responsibility from day one. Throughout this 2.5 year program, you can expect to work across 2-3 teams within the finance function, complete immersions in our sales or marketing functions to build a comprehensive understanding of what we do, and have international exposure by partnering with teams across the Americas and our global HQ, including other finance graduates. You’ll need to be quick on your feet and able to pivot your priorities and focus - in an organization that doesn’t still, the team’s work is a growing challenge of ever-evolving numbers.
Dyson is a global technology company. Using a desire to make things work better as a catalyst for invention, our team of 3,000 engineers and scientists are passionate about developing technology that solves the problems others often ignore. From the world’s first bagless vacuum cleaner, to hand dryers that use 420mph sheets of air to remove moisture from hands, to a completely re-thought hair dryer with its motor in the handle, we are relentless about engineering better solutions. Dyson spends $8.8 million a week on research and development and works with more than 40 universities worldwide to develop early-stage technologies.
Dyson launched in the US in 2002, with the DC07 vacuum cleaner. Within 2 years, it was market share leader. Now, the US team is nearly 1,000 strong, with offices in Chicago, IL; Aurora, IL; San Francisco, CA; and Dyson people around the entire country. And we are still growing. Dyson US is poised to double its footprint, and take on new categories. Already a target for our competitors, challenging times are ahead. And our battle-hungry US team is fired up.
For a Dyson machine to be successful, it requires a great amount of consideration. From the first prototype, to beyond its unboxing. Our strong financial planning and operations are what take Dyson ideas beyond the labs of RDD, onto shelves, and into the homes of our owners across the globe. Forecasting, allocating and auditing our resources without ever compromising the integrity and entrepreneurial spirit that defines our business. Without the analytical and process leadership of our finance teams, the Dyson story could not be told.
As a future leader in our finance function, you’ll be placed in roles that capitalize on your existing skills and stretch you out of your comfort zone, supported by personal and professional development and mentors to help you achieve success. This role is a good fit if you are hungry to apply your current skills, learn new functions, tackle business challenges and drive your own career.
The variety of “mission’s” means that no two roles will be alike, but you could expect some of the following responsibilities:
Prepare and analyse overhead cost center performance and reporting
· Assist in providing accurate, relevant and reliable month end figures for each cost center including customer service, logistics, sales, marketing, finance & IT.
· Assist in providing ad-hoc financial support for cost center managers, for example: supporting business case justifications and scenario modeling
Assist with monthly forecast and annual budget preparation and analysis
· Work with the Senior Financial Analyst to ensure that the information communicated is accurate, timely and consistent with the direction of the global organization
· Develop key reporting through use of SAP, BW, OneStream and Excel
Develop an in-depth understanding of market and competitor trends as well as customers’ perceptions, behaviors and preferences across key areas
· Actively communicate relevant research findings to US and Group business functions – ensuring accessibility
· Work in tandem with other business units to analyze data and produce actionable insights
· Manage ongoing relationships with data suppliers and research companies
Manage cross functional projects in a rapidly changing environment
· Work collaboratively across the sales and marketing functions to support both new and current product ranges
· Partner with national account managers and others to support future forecasting, retailer analysis and more
Develop and manage relationships and processes with internal business partners.
· Seek out decision makers and influencers. Create positive working relationships across all levels of the business
· Accountability for all business processes related to the position, for example accounts receivable, legal, customer service, and all related administrative due diligence
Develop and execute processes
· Build business cases, supported by data, to help improve processes for our scaling organization.
Fulfill other duties as required
· Take initiative. Relish the opportunity of starting or picking up new work autonomously.
· Fix things that you can see need fixing
· Identify problems and find solutions
Our most successful Dyson employees have more than just academic smarts – and we’ll expect you to have practical knowledge and experience that will help you contribute to our mantra of ‘wrong-thinking’ and doing things better. You’ll also need a head for data, great communication skills, grit, and a desire to learn. Some experience of a busy, deadline-driven environment would be great. But it’s not vital – we’ll teach you everything you need to know. It’s all about showing a passion for finance and the Dyson brand.
We’ll expect a lot from you. And no day will be the same as the last.