Finance, Graduate Program
Things move quickly at Dyson. In twenty years, what began with one man and one idea has grown into a global technology company, with 6,000 people and a presence in over 70 countries. From Malmesbury to Malaysia to the US to Australasia and many countries in between, we’ve sold over 80 million machines. Our new frontiers are opening up across South East Asia and beyond. More people, more ideas and more space for more invention.
Our Singapore story began in 2004 and today we have more than 1000 people working here. At the beginning of 2017 we opened our new, state of the art, Singapore Technology Centre in Science Park I, minutes from Singapore’s technology and start-up community. This new Technology Centre houses some of Dyson’s most advanced facilities including Robotics and Sensors laboratories and Smart Home, Connectivity & Mobile Applications laboratories as well as an Advanced Control Tower with the latest technology to develop its analytics driven activities.
Not too far away is West Park, our flagship advanced motor manufacturing facility where we develop our autonomous robotic manufacturing capabilities – more than 300 robots assemble our Dyson Digital Motor (DDM) here. It is here that we develop our next generation of motor technology.
Our finance teams work hard to make sure we’re as smart with money as we are with machines. From financial control to commercial decision-making, finance teams play a crucial and varied role at Dyson. Dyson finance teams engineer our financial success. From commercial forecasting and planning, to supporting investment in RDD, we help the global business perform as well as our technology. We’ll expect you to get hands-on and solve problems from the off, contributing as well as learning.
From day one you’ll work in a ‘real job’ in the Commercial Finance team. As a graduate, you’ll be thrown into the Dyson world with a crucial role to play.
The Commercial Finance team is a great place to gain knowledge into the supply chain and manufacturing technology that fuels Dyson’s cutting edge products as you work across contract manufacturers and multifunctional teams to analyse cost trends, drive improvement and simplification on financial reporting and processes. Here, you will also have the opportunity to manage cost forecasts, use your analytical skills to support the team’s drive on cost reduction activities and take ownership of ad hoc commercial and strategic projects.
Reporting to the Commercial Finance Manager, the role will have responsibility for the analysis of data; challenging of the data, and reporting of the direct and non-direct product cost spend included in Dyson’s Cost of Sales.
Key areas of responsibilities include but are not limited to:
• Driving the analysis and report on cost saving movements of Dyson products
• Understanding cost trends across product models and support business in identifying cost saving opportunities
• Supporting the wider Commercial Finance team to drive and enable focus on cost reduction activities through analysis
• Prepare monthly score cards for reporting of cost savings
• Develop in depth product knowledge to create product/sub assembly level analysis for cost comparisons
• Analyse impact of commodities cost movement on Dyson product cost
• Conduct and prepare any Contract Manufacturers related ad hoc reviews and analysis
• Prepare product related analysis data pack for use by SEA Exec Team
• Involved in annual budgeting process for product cost
• Involved / take ownership of ad hoc commercial / strategic projects
• May be required to work out of the Senai office for 1 day a week, or as often as the business needs requires.
We are looking for an enthusiastic graduate with a commitment to learn about Finance and how our business operates. You are expected to be studying for any Masters program in Accounting or Finance degree with experience in financial planning, analysis and/or strategy.
Some of the essential skills we are looking for are:
• Strong analytical skills and proactive in proposing ideas to challenge status quo
• Ability to understand concepts and ideas quickly and model data in meaningful ways
• Experience in rigorous financial analysis
• Excellent analytical ability and Excel skills
• Experience in working across functions and cultures and dealing with overseas entities
• Excellent personal and business presentation skills, in particular the presentation of financial information to non-finance managers and directors
• Assertive and able to influence upwards and peers
• Good spoken & written English
Some of the essential behaviours we are looking for are:
• High level of integrity
• Leadership and decision making abilities
• Commercial acumen
• Self-motivated, independent, dynamic and results-driven
• Inquisitive, proactive and innovative
• Quick learner
• Willing to be flexible in tasks and activities taken on
• Thrives on change
• Attention to detail without losing bigger picture
• Ability to deliver under pressure
• Ability to work cross-functionally and to influence as well as build strong working relationships with key stakeholders internally and externally
• Highly developed communication and influencing skills.
• Assertive, prepared to see through plans and overcome objections
• Problem solving with good attention to detail
• Energetic, engaging and positive approach