Head of Finance, Mexico
Mexico City, Mexico
Mexico is Dyson’s first launch into Latin America and is critically important as we develop the success models for further expansion in Latin America. Dyson is committed to driving long term success in Mexico and believes that creating its own subsidiary locally will drive a better consumer experience and longer term faster more sustainable growth.
Dyson is the leader in vacuum cleaners with its Cordfree range and has ambitious plans for other categories. The response to Dyson’s latest product- The Supersonic hairdryer has been exceptional.
Dyson Mexico provides a huge opportunity to be part of a young and striving business as a key contributor in delivering success in the this region.
Over the first two years, the Finance Manager, Mexico will lead the following elements:
- Supporting the establishment of the Dyson subsidiary in Mexico, as per Mexican regulations.
- Setting up the back office capabilities that are critical – supply chain, importation, warehousing, SAP, banking and finance, taxes and cash.
- Understand Mexico as a market, and what is needed for Dyson to be successful. Be a business manager beyond just being a finance person, and be an inspiration to others in the organization. Be a manager your team wants to work with, and your direct reports enjoy reporting to.
- Play the role of assisting the Mexican General Manager in understanding Dyson, and how things work in our company. Be the Dyson expert in a new country and new organization.
- Work with the General Manager and other functional leaders to formalize the business model, and prepare a 5 year business plan and P&L.
- Establish the initial success of the business model and launch plans, with a balanced financial approach.
- Be central to ensuring the Dyson culture and spirit is developed in the Mexican team.
In addition the role will have the following more traditional deliverables:
Financial Management and Reporting of Financial Performance
- Manage budget and LE process to ensure strategic direction is robust & risks and opportunities are identified and understood, through review and challenge of commercial managers.
- Provide accurate monthly reporting of performance detailing variances from budget and target.
- Continual improvement of P&L and KPI Reporting for audiences at Board and Operational levels.
- Ensure robustness and integrity of financial controls, balanced with customer focus.
- Lead the month-end and reporting process, ensuring the timeliness & accuracy of submissions through to Group Consolidation.
- Finalize period-end statements of accounts and successful closure of statutory and management audits
- Ensure complete compliance on local tax laws, submissions, returns and payments
- Manage day to day financial operations, including the expenses, daily cash and the maintenance of master data.
- Operation of local ERP system, SAP
- Maintain high level of co-ordination with the Americas office
- Support the Americas team in special projects
- Create a robust and reliable monthly cash forecasting system
- Collaborate with other functions on establishing clear financial success metrics and integrate finance into the main work stream
- Develop control over timely recognition of advertising and promotional spend
- Working with the General Manager and other functional leaders in fine-tuning the business model, and preparation of medium to long term business plans
Partner with Stakeholders
- Create strong working relationship both cross functionally and at the various levels of management.
- Challenge current methods of working driving efficiencies and increased profitability wherever possible.
- Develop the level of investment appraisal over advertising and promotional spend to ensure that we generate as much value as possible whilst benchmarking performance against other territories within Dyson.
- Ensure levels of overheads are appropriate to activity levels.
- Manage the Operation function ensuring that costs are minimized and service levels are maintained.
- Liaise regularly with the Group Logistics to ensure that the Group Supply Chain strategy is understood and adhered to.
- Delivery of supply chain KPI’s across inventory planning, demand planning, forecast accuracy, third party logistics provider.
- Serve as Finance Project Lead on various Dyson growth initiatives and serve as the Finance expert, while ensuring back office support, implementing controls, and involving team members as appropriate
Month End Close
- Month end close process and prepare management accounts in adherence to the Group timetable
- Preparation of reporting packs for review by market Controller and CFO
- Business Partner to the market Finance team to optimise key month end processes and add value to reporting
- Assist with optimization and standardization of month end processes across a number of markets
- Oversee and perform the period-end and year-end accounting close and ensure an accurate and efficient process
- Ensure best practice processes and policies are enforced and constantly challenged
- Actively lead and contribute to the broader Group/Global Agenda, driving new ways of working to support the development of the broader finance strategy.
- Generate and develop ideas for discussion at market and Group level to push boundaries in operational and strategic thinking.
- Develop strong market and group ties to ensure a collaborative approach to improve ways of working across all finance areas (business/process/systems).
Leadership and Development
- Champion the Dyson finance strategy core pillars of integrity and commercial success throughout the business.
- Lead and motivate the wider Finance team to ensure that they are developed and challenged in their roles to maximize their potential.
- Support HR strategies of people development, reward and resourcing.
- Minimum 10 years of experience; ideally with a strong consumer brand, with ownership of Financial Controls
- Relevant degree qualification or chartered status in Finance
- International work experience – lived and worked overseas and/or international remit would be beneficial
- Experience of creating change, challenging the status quo, demonstrating entrepreneurial spirit
- High competence on Mexican accounting and tax requirements
- Exposure to SAP financial modules
- High level of communication skills both verbal and written
- Excellent English language skills
- International accounting experience
- Ability to influence at all levels.
- Strong team player capable of building and motivating teams and colleagues.
- Displays strong ownership
- Self-starter who sees things to completion
- Energetic, engaging and positive approach
- Assertive, prepared to see through plans and overcome objections
- Intelligent, quick-thinking, alert
- Calm, logical, comfortable with all levels
- High Integrity