Firmware Team Leader - Power Systems
Competitive + Bonus + Pension + 27 days holiday
The Power Systems group is a multidisciplinary team responsible for the development of Dyson energy storage and power management systems. We are looking to expand our embedded firmware capability and are seeking an individual to lead and grow our existing team in this discipline.
- Architecting, implementing and verifying embedded firmware for our world leading Li-Ion battery packs and related product control systems.
- Working closely with our hardware team to bring new battery powered systems to life – this is a hands-on role with opportunity for plenty of lab work during development.
- Driving the technical direction for new developments and ensuring that our firmware is developed both efficiently and to our quality requirements.
- Leading code and design review activities.
- Working with hardware, mechanical and other engineering disciplines to solve complex system level problems and find technical solutions.
- Documenting software requirements and architecture
- Generation of test specifications to ensure product reliability and robustness at key stages during code development. This includes the development of test environments including simulation, emulation and hardware/test equipment interactions.
- Communicate status, including risks and issues to all stakeholders.
Education and experience:
- Minimum BEng/MEng degree in electronic engineering or other relevant discipline Minimum of 5 years industrial experience in a relevant industry.
Minimum technical knowledge:
- You will have an in-depth knowledge of common software design methodologies and embedded software development in C.
- You will have successfully lead small teams of software engineers throughout all stages of the development lifecycle, preferably in delivery of high volume consumer products
- You’ll bring energy and clear prioritisation to the team along with a pragmatic approach to delivery in a rapidly changing environment.
- You’ll be comfortable representing your team technically in cross discipline reviews and take a structured approach to progress reporting.
- You’ll have the ability to derive software requirements from product level requirements and derive own requirements when limited information is available.
- Good understanding of basic hardware and its interfacing to software systems.
- A demonstrable knowledge of version control systems including system set-up
- Experience of Agile working practices and tools
- Knowledge of PIC and ARM Cortex devices Desirable:
- Experience in line management of a software team Essential behavioural skills:
- You will have a creative, positive and inquisitive approach to your work
- You will be a logical and tenacious problem solver.
- You’ll be a champion for improvements in software development process and pragmatic in their application to your work
- You will be confident mentoring more junior engineers and providing technical leadership across the team when project work requires it.
- Ability to communicate appropriate, concise and accurate information in written and verbal format
- Ability to adapt or generate imaginative and innovative ideas, in line with core Dyson values
- To be able to multi-task and plan effectively when working with a variety of project teams in an often high-pressure & dynamic environment in an organised manner
- Excellent team working skills