Research Technician - 6 Month FTC
The Technician will work within the Design, Build and Test (DBT) team within the wider Floorcare Research team to apply their practical skills and experience to plan resource for, help design and run experiments that build the company’s technical advantage in existing and future products.
Please note: This is a 6 month fixed term contract opportunity
Design, Build and Test is a multidisciplinary team made up of Engineers, Designers and Technicians. The Technician will take responsibility for this over a wide range of standard and development tests, ensuring that testing is efficient and produces highly accurate and repeatable results. Part of the planning and resourcing of tests will be the inventory management for the equipment owned by the DBT team for use in testing. This involves the checking in, checking out and basic maintenance of equipment. In addition the candidate will be expected to continually improve and develop rig design and experimental techniques and methodologies, in order build the testing capability of Dyson as a whole.
- Carry out testing duties (including effective communication of test progress and results) in a professional manner, to agreed timescales and to the highest quality standards, adhering to required processes & procedures, recording & communicating results/outputs clearly.
- Execute duties which support testing tasks in a proactive and timely manner (scheduling where appropriate to minimise unexpected down-time / delays), e.g. prototype product maintenance, equipment calibration, test preparation, scheduled lab maintenance, housekeeping, material ordering.
- Maintain and if necessary, improve, the current inventory process – logging use and state of equipment and carrying out basic troubleshooting to determine best course of action in order to return tools back to use as soon as possible.
- Learn and maintain knowledge of team-specific specialisms e.g. test procedures, physical principles, materials, product development risks, equipment and instrumentation.
- Lead some training/induction activities as required.
- Contribute to the development of new test methods
- Be a proactive member of the team that can work autonomously to progress and solve challenges.
- Contribute to the design process through accumulated experience and knowledge.
- Communicate with other team members and able to work in a self-motivated way as part of a multi-disciplinary team.
- Participate in continuous improvement activities.
Specific training will be provided
- Previous experience in a test environment and demonstrated competency in the skills required for a test role highly desirable.
- Thorough and logical approach with emphasis on attention to detail.
- Demonstrate drive, enthusiasm, self-motivation and teamwork skills and an ability to work conscientiously without direct supervision
- Good analytical and problem solving ability, combined with a persistent nature and an inquisitive attitude.
- Quality focus – must have a good understanding of the need for consistent and accurate tests and high quality test components.
- Ability to create accurate documentation and keep detailed records.
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to communicate appropriate, concise and accurate information in written and verbal format.
- Basic level of MS Word and Excel.
- Experience of working with rapid prototype materials such as SLA and SLS to construct assemblies and test rigs desirable.
- Experience of using workshop machinery (i.e. lathes and mills) to produce high quality parts in a wide variety of engineering materials desirable.
- Knowledge of basic mechanical, electrical, and airflow systems desirable.
- Qualification in electrical safety testing or risk assessments desirable.
- Ability to understand and interrogate 2D engineering drawings and 3D CAD models desirable.