Product Interaction HMI Design Manager
Competitive + 27 Days Holiday, Pension, Bonus, Free Onsite Gym
The Design Manager is one of the most integral roles within the Dyson process owning projects and driving the design of our future products. Your role is to manage a team of HMI Designers in NPI who are responsible for the experience, behaviors, control and feedback of our products. You will be able to demonstrate a broad knowledge of user centered interaction design, combined with highly effective influencing and communications skills that support a proven track record of bringing products to the market.
Home to our global Research, Design and Development Centre and all of our Commercial functions, Dyson HQ is tucked away in countryside famous for the railway tunnels and bridges of Isambard Brunel, who revolutionised modern engineering. Our secluded location helps us to protect our ideas and stay independent-minded. Yet nearby are the fashionable cities of Bristol and Bath (where a young James Dyson invented cyclone technology). The building is the heartbeat of Dyson. Over 1,500 people, including James himself, spend their days strategizing, inventing technology and telling the Dyson story to the world. From 2016, our HQ will begin doubling its footprint with an ambitious new expansion.
The Design and Product Experience team sits within the New Product Innovation facility and is responsible for the visual design, interaction, HMI and connected product experience. They work cross-category on projects from start to finish. A close relationship with the NPI Director and the senior leadership team enables them to deliver, alongside the hugely talented team of engineers and scientists, a world class product experience
What's the role?
- Owning the experience of interacting directly with Dyson products from concept to production.
- Managing a team of HMI Designers in NPI who are responsible for the experience, behaviors, control and feedback on product with a user centered and ‘best in class’ approach, keeping continuity across all categories.
- Working seamlessly with the Product Design team, and the NPI connectivity team to ensure consistent, world-leading user experience
- Working with Category Heads and Design Managers to ensure the projects are on track, reviewed at the right times and at the appropriate level with key stakeholders
- Working with the digital design team to ensure continuity across both product and digital platforms
- Managing relationships with Engineering and Electronics teams to ensure the best possible design is delivered
Who Are You?
- Design Manager (will consider a strong, experienced Design Lead or Senior Design Engineer)
- A creative designer who is always looking to improve a product - Strong fundamental interaction design knowledge
- Ability to reconcile user expectations and technical constraints quickly in order to suggest the appropriate course of action
- Ability to run a disciplined, highly motivated team
- Product minded – your main focus is always on the product and the user experience
- Excellent communicator and both verbally, graphically and through use of sketches
- A great eye for detail and a sensitivity to the visual aspects of the product user interface
- Calm, Assertive and diplomatic - a great collaborator and clear negotiator
Dyson monitors the market to ensure competitive salaries and pension contributions. Beyond that, you’ll also enjoy a profit-related bonus, generous leave and life insurance. But financial benefits are only the start of a Dyson career. Rapid professional growth, leadership development and new opportunities abound, driven by regular reviews and dynamic workshops. And with a vibrant culture, flexible working hours, the latest devices and a relaxed dress code reflecting our engineering spirit, it’s an exciting team environment geared to creativity, innovation and ambition.