Head of Engineering
Competitive Salary, 27 days holiday, Bonus, Pension, Medical and Dental Insurance + Additional Benefits
Dyson is a global technology company with a unique philosophy, led by James Dyson. It transforms every category it enters with radical and iconic re-inventions that work, perform and look very different.
Driven by frustration, James invented the first bagless vacuum cleaner, but being first wasn’t easy. His competitors were giants and didn’t let him past without a fight. It took 5,127 prototypes and 15 years of perseverance before James finally launched the Dyson DC01. Within 18 months it became the best-selling cleaner in the UK.
Today, Dyson marries innovative technology, researched in its own high technology and secret laboratories, with leading-edge design to produce products that work better. The process from initial idea to finished Dyson machine encompasses multiple RDD locations in the UK and South East Asia.
The mission remains the same; to solve problems that others ignore with exciting new ideas that turn convention on its head. To lead the way, transforming every category entered with radical and iconic re-inventions of everyday devices, setting the benchmark for others to follow.
Dyson products sell in 75 countries, and it employs nearly 7,000 people globally, over one third of whom are engineers and scientists. 2,500 are based at the HQ and Research and Development centre located in Malmesbury, Wiltshire, UK. The initial research, design and development of Dyson technologies takes place at the campus here where the site is undergoing an expansion to double the size of Dyson’s research footprint in the UK, including the recent opening of a new state of the art Innovation and Research Centre as well as a new café and sports centre.
Another 2,500 people bring Dyson’s machines into existence, working on engineering, production and operations based in South East Asia.
The face of Dyson is changing rapidly. Three years ago 80% of Dyson’s business was full-sized vacuum cleaners. Today, its digital motor powered cordless vacuums, robots, Airblade hand dryers, bladeless fans, humidifiers, purifiers and heaters are powering its growth around the world. 2015 saw the addition of Jake Dyson Light to the Dyson portfolio, continuing the family line in fundamentally reengineering technologies to work better. And in April 2016 Dyson took arguably its biggest leap yet, revolutionising the world of health and personal care with the launch of the Dyson Supersonic™ Hairdryer.
Dyson’s culture is unique. Dynamic, inventive, technology-obsessed and decidedly un-corporate. The mindset is geared to constant challenge. And a global expansion at Dyson’s pace brings constant challenge. It’s not easy or comfortable, but it’s this way of working that drives performance. Dyson suits people with the courage and resilience to find their own way, spotting opportunities where others don’t, and having the self-belief to persevere where others give up. “Good enough” isn’t good enough. Experiences are more important than experience. And attitude counts as much as aptitude.
Reporting to one of our Global Category Directors, this leadership role is one of our most integral, owning projects and driving their design and engineering for the future. As we operate across a broad set of categories, we are open to a range of backgrounds from senior leaders with a great knowledge of engineering, product and category development.
The role will require you to lead the category in the development of engineering solutions, ensuring robust engineering principles and best practice are followed and continuously improved. You will be a problem solver and an energetic leader who drives and develops others to ensure the team are prepared for the future design and engineering challenges of the organisation.
- A long term thinker, working within a disruptive agenda
- Technical, personal and leadership credibility combined with commercial awareness, to work effectively across other functions in RDD & Operations as well as Commercial. Legal, Claims, Performance and our Markets.
- High impact and influential, listened to. Able to think on your feet, smart.
- Adapt at reading the future and being able to deliver to that, at pace, ahead of the game. Situations change rapidly so resilience and ability to adapt quickly are key. Continuous improvement mindset and seeks out differences and challenges assumptions.
- Has courage and is bold. Perseveres to get the best result.
- Much of what we do hasn’t been done before. You’ll need to be a problem solver who can apply disruptive thinking to get to the right answer. A wrong thinker who spots connections and sees opportunities when others don’t and tests and explores. A pragmatic approach to product development focused on growing the business.
- You’ll need to have a broad engineering knowledge, that supports a proven track record of bringing products to market.
- A degree in an engineering discipline
- Strong change skills
- A leader of people and previous experience of managing a large team
- Global experience and site to site project transfers, particularly relating to South East Asia
- Experience of mechanical, electrical and motor/battery integration into a robust systems architecture
- Has led projects from early concept to start of production
Industry & Company Experience:
- A senior leader with well developed knowledge and understanding of engineering, product and category development within a global organization
- Experience of technology/product/engineering environment
- Premium/high-quality products and brands
- Proven in several companies
- Experience within a smaller/entrepreneurial/innovative/high-growth environment
- Ability to be mobile worldwide