Head of Engineering
Dyson is a global technology company with a unique philosophy, led by James Dyson. It transforms every category it enters with radical and iconic re-inventions that work, perform and look very different.
Driven by frustration, James invented the first bagless vacuum cleaner, but being first wasn’t easy. His competitors were giants and didn’t let him past without a fight. It took 5,127 prototypes and 15 years of perseverance before James finally launched the Dyson DC01. Within 18 months it became the best-selling cleaner in the UK.
In 2000, Dyson moved production from Malmesbury to Malaysia to be closer to our supply chains and open up international growth. The small team of 10 has now grown to almost 1,200 – forming Dyson’s second biggest global hub. Located in the exhilarating industrial heart of Johor, it’s also home to RDD, IT, operations, finance, creative and HR. The RDD facility is central to our plans to launch 100 new machines in the next four years. To meet these ambitions, we recently expanded the site to 30,000m², with 50 advanced technology labs and 700 new engineers. In the Dyson world, there’s no more exciting place to be.
- A long term thinker, working within a disruptive agenda
- Technical, personal and leadership credibility combined with commercial awareness, to work effectively across other functions in RDD & Operations as well as Commercial. Legal, Claims, Performance and our Markets.
- High impact and influential, listened to. Able to think on your feet, smart.
- Adapt at reading the future and being able to deliver to that, at pace, ahead of the game. Situations change rapidly so resilience and ability to adapt quickly are key. Continuous improvement mindset and seeks out differences and challenges assumptions.
- Has courage and is bold. Perseveres to get the best result.
- Much of what we do hasn’t been done before. You’ll need to be a problem solver who can apply disruptive thinking to get to the right answer. A wrong thinker who spots connections and sees opportunities when others don’t and tests and explores. A pragmatic approach to product development focused on growing the business.
- You’ll need to have a broad engineering knowledge, specifically in the ceramics area, that supports a proven track record of bringing products to market.
- A degree in an engineering discipline
- Strong change skills
- A leader of people and previous experience of managing a large team
- Global experience and site to site project transfers, particularly relating to South East Asia
- Experience of mechanical, electrical and motor/battery integration into a robust systems architecture
- Has led projects from early concept to start of production
Industry & Company Experience:
- A senior leader with well developed knowledge and understanding of engineering, product and category development within a global organization
- Experience of technology/product/engineering environment
- Premium/high-quality products and brands
- Proven in several companies, preferably ceramics
- Experience within a smaller/entrepreneurial/innovative/high-growth environment
- Ability to be mobile worldwide