Head of External Affairs
£49,500 - £62,000 per annum + bonus + pension + private medical + 27 days holiday + free on-site gym
Dyson engineers don’t set out to create “green” machines. They are motivated by solving problems that others ignore and doing so in the most efficient way. Making the most of every Watt of power and gram of material. This has spawned what others might class to be “eco” products but we would better describe as “lean machines”. For example, our advanced cyclonic vacuum cleaners, the Dyson Airblade™ hand dryer, the Dyson Supersonic hairdryer and our cordless machines, all powered by efficient Dyson digital motor technology. These technologies are often disruptive and may not conform to common perceptions of how the category of machines works.
The purpose of this role is to mesh the outside and inside worlds of Environmental affairs. You will monitor the pipeline of environmental legislation and other developments in environmental affairs. Your job is then to measure the opportunity and risks for Dyson technology. This may evolve into external liaison, research projects, new processes and measurable improvements, working with the Dyson RDD (upstream and downstream), Commercial and Operations teams to achieve these goals.
At Dyson Corporate Social Responsibility is anchored in the idea of sustainable engineering. Dyson’s impact on the environment and society starts and ends with our machines and our technology. Sustainable engineering activity is centred on the lifecycle of Dyson machine - from design, to sourcing and manufacture, logistics and end of life. As part of the Claims, Standards and Insights team our job is to interpret the owners’ voice; differentiating Dyson technology with compelling proof.
Help to define and implement the overarching CSI and CSR strategies and action plans, utilising subject matter expertise and environmental affairs experience
Monitor the European Commission’s materials of potential concern and WEEE regulations and work with internal teams to develop our strategy
Monitor and report on emerging environmental trends and find the appropriate practical applications for that knowledge in Dyson
Oversee processes for assessing environmental impacts of products and operations, ensuring good quality data
Represent Dyson regarding environmental affairs with Trade Associations, Standards committees and NGOs
Be the environmental affairs subject matter expert and train, guide and mentor others both in the wider business
Challenge and develop best practise, contributing to tool and process improvements
- Ideally degree qualified in a technical subject such as engineering, science or product design
- Significant experience in the field of environmental engineering or sustainability, with significant experience working on environmental issues
- Experienced leader with proven ability to manage and develop a team.
- Experience in a regulatory affairs role is desirable, (preferably a trade association or manufacturing business)
- Understanding and experience of life cycle assessment
- Standards and legislation expertise desirable, preferably consumer products
- Experience and knowledge of global environmental regulatory requirements (although European regulations will be the primary scope)
- Strong communication skills are a must
- Must be prepared to travel globally (anticipated quarterly trips as projects/ workload requires).
- All applicants must have the right to work in the UK