Head of Legal - UK Operations
Competitive Salary + Bonus
This role requires a technically excellent and pro-active lawyer to provide commercial and contract law advice to Dyson’s Group functions. This is a role with a great degree of responsibility attached and that provides an excellent opportunity to develop your skills and contribution as part of a dynamic and ambitious in-house legal team. You will be responsible for the management of a team of lawyers based in the UK.
Dyson HQ is home to over 3,500 people who work across a medley of engineering and commercial functions. The award-winning campus has three cafes, a sports centre and a number of engineering icons including our Harrier and Lightning jets – one of which hangs from the ceiling of our café. Based in Malmesbury, the campus is within easy reach of both the Cotswolds and cities like Bath and Bristol along the M4 corridor.
Dyson learnt an early lesson in the value of legal might, winning a gruelling battle against Hoover when it infringed our early cyclone technology patents. Our in-house legal teams have been at the forefront of Dyson ever since. From the information security experts and IP teams doggedly protecting our ideas. To the commercial lawyers and procurement specialists who solve our toughest business challenges across the world.
This is what we need you to do:
- Build strong relationships with Dyson’s Group functions, including Procurement, IT, Finance and Research, Design and Development, and manage the provision of daily support to them.
- Manage and develop a team of enthusiastic, talented and skilled in house counsel.
- Provide expert, ethical and pragmatic advice and support on commercial and contract issues across the business.
- Proactively identify arising risk areas and work with the business to develop risk mitigation solutions.
- Draft and negotiate contracts with suppliers and customers.
- Support and advise on tender processes across the business, particularly in manufacturing, IT and on capital equipment projects.
- Provide input into contract control processes and reviewing and maintaining precedent documents.
- Manage contract disputes with third parties.
- Deliver relevant legal training programmes.
- Manage external counsel where appropriate, ensuring compliance with Dyson’s cost management processes.
This is what we need you to have:
- At least 8 years’ post qualification experience, with in-house exposure post training a significant advantage.
- A sound understanding of all aspects of commercial law and an ability to apply that knowledge pragmatically in a business environment.
- Excellent communication, collaboration and interpersonal skills.
- Experience of managing matters with a cross border and foreign jurisdiction element, and managing external legal counsel.
- Good awareness of the role of Legal in business decisions and the ability to actively contribute in the taking of those decisions.
- Confidence and technical ability to be able to deal with issues outside your experience and the ability to learn quickly on the job.
- Evidence of being a self-starter who is good at identifying problems and proactively remedying them, and who demonstrates professionalism, pride and integrity in all aspects of your work.
- An ability to work successfully with a minimum level of supervision in a fast-paced, constantly changing environment.
- Line management experience.
- Experience of manufacturing contracts is an advantage.
- 27 days holiday plus eight statutory bank holidays
- Pension scheme
- Performance related bonus
- Life assurance
- Sport centre
- Free on-site parking
- Subsidized café and restaurants
- Discounts on Dyson machines