Head of Procurement - Electronics
To establish, by 2020, a world class Electronics Systems supply chain for all Dyson products with significant (TBD within the strategy) savings.
Objectives to include facilitation, identification, management and delivery of strategic change in Dyson processes and procedures and Dyson supply chain that delivers increased performance, reduced investment and greater flexibility to meet the increasing demand of Dyson products globally.
Our Singapore story began in 2004 and today we have more than 1000 people working here. At the beginning of 2017 we opened our new, state of the art, Singapore Technology Centre in Science Park I, minutes from Singapore’s technology and start-up community. This new Technology Centre houses some of Dyson’s most advanced facilities including Robotics and Sensors laboratories and Smart Home, Connectivity & Mobile Applications laboratories as well as an Advanced Control Tower with the latest technology to develop its analytics-driven activities.
Not too far away is West Park, our flagship advanced motor manufacturing facility where we develop our autonomous robotic manufacturing capabilities – more than 300 robots assemble our Dyson Digital Motor (DDM) here. It is here that we develop our next generation of motor technology.
The Global Dyson Electronics team is responsible for delivering Technology leadership, through ensuring that component design, cost and robustness are balanced against supplier capability/capacity and Manufacturing capability. We are a challenging, assertive and collaborative team working with the wider business to ensure that product designs are realised on time, on cost and provide solutions that enable the production of truly innovative products that are leading edge and ensure Dyson success. We are hands on with product development, our suppliers, manufacturers and the wider supply chain to ensure that the very best possible products are produced to provide disruptive solution and technology for our customers.
Whilst it is recognised that current Dyson Electronics designs are looking to push the boundaries of component complexity, lead-times, performance, warranty & cost fall short of a World Class operation and significant opportunity exists to deliver a cost competitive roadmap that aligns with the Dyson technology growth path. The role of the Global Head of Electronics is to realise these opportunities, develop and drive change by evoking a new approach to the Electronics Category as a performance critical function for the business.
Working closely with the Engineering, Procurement & Manufacturing functions the individual will establish and monitor current business performance with respect to the Electronics category and drive forward Module/Component cost, performance, lead-time and warranty as the four cornerstones of a fully optimised Category strategy. Working with teams to develop & deliver a strategy to ensure a cohesive and coordinated approach to change whilst improving Supplier performance management. Understand, analyse and decipher root causes and lead cross-functional resolution whilst supporting and delivering in to the overall Dyson 20/20 Manufacturing Vision.
Here is what you will do:
The Head of Procurement role is fundamental to the improvement of performance within Dyson. Working from within the Electronics team but also with the whole of the Dyson business the role is responsible for:
- Develop detailed strategic approach to managing the Electronics Category as a commodity to reduce the piece part cost and investment per product. Implement a platform strategy.
Establishing current business performance supplier metrics/KPI’s to indicate current state and set future targets across the AVL, piece part cost, performance, warranty & lead-time
Establish supply chain minimum requirements that support business awards, selection and de-selection
- Analysing and deciphering change / improvement opportunities to root cause and corrective action
- Driving / supporting the identification of activities, measures and projects that are required in the wider business to support continuous improvement
- Creating justification, communication and gain consensus for new projects/initiative to improve powers systems business performance
- Developing cross-functional contacts and teams for change / improvement identification, support and implementation
- Monitoring, communicating and driving progress on projects supporting Electronics systems improvements
- Driving and reporting of metrics ensuring visibility of improvements is available across the business
- Day to day management of Global Electronics team ensuring that close alignment exists between South East Asia (SEA) & UK team with objectives aligned
- On time delivery of the above
- Significant experience leading and delivering platform programmes / projects in similar industries
- Effective influencing skills across the wider business including all functions within Dyson
- Clarity of communication – both to Exec, peers and across multiple countries and both 1:1 and in small group interactions at all levels
- A strong background in procurement, engineering to provide the fundamental understanding of day to day business operations
- The ability to balance the day to day challenges of multiple projects, progress reporting and challenges with a longer term strategic vision
- A tenacious approach to working – current procurement practices are entrenched in the way we work at Dyson and evoking a significant mind-set change in approach to electronics and platform sourcing decisions will not be straightforward and involve people, processes and systems – their effective systemic resolution is unlikely to be trivial
- Experience of managing and driving a Global supply base to deliver improved efficiencies across both cost and performance in a collaborative fashion
- Ability to Influence Internal and External stakeholders
- Technical expertise in Engineering fields such as Mechanical and/or Electro Mechanical.
- Familiarity with operational manufacturing processes in both Mechanical and Electro mechanical consumer products.
- Experience within the Global Electronics Market and Supply base
- Solid knowledge of Change Management techniques
- Solid knowledge of Project Management methods
- Process development
- Knowledge of Dyson products, suppliers, people and processes.
- Formal lean manufacturing training in six sigma, etc…
- CIPS Certification
- GAP Certification
Dyson Singapore monitors the market to ensure we offer competitive salaries and bonuses. Beyond that, you’ll have comprehensive medical care and insurance. But financial benefits are only the start of a directorship at Dyson. New opportunities abound in a dynamic, creative environment geared to progress, innovation and realising ambition..