Head of Supply Chain - Dyson Americas
Starting salary will be based on experience and credentials
Dyson is looking for a strong operator and big thinking leader to be Head of Supply Chain. The Head of Supply Chain reports to the CFO and will be a member of the Company’s operations leadership team. A successful candidate will be highly operational, excel at growing and managing teams, a consummate team player, adept at building world class operations and delivery experiences that customers love. S/he will have excellent written and oral communication.
This position is instrumental in leading the strategy and execution of Dyson Americas supply chain and order fulfillment solutions. This includes particular focus on Dyson retail and e-Commerce revolution as we seek to make supply change one of our strategic enablers. Based on business priorities, this role implements models that optimize service levels, inventory, and costs.
Accountable for the end to end Americas supply chain and fulfillment related performance KPIs and operational budgets. Responsible for generating supply chain strategies that will step chain Dyson to being seen as world class for supply chain piloting and implementing initiatives that will see Dyson leapfrog current processes. Delivers effective and timely communication of issues and possible solutions to affected stakeholders.
The position will optimize supply chain end to end, with focus on delivering exceptional service, while optimizing costs. Partnering with Sales leadership, Direct leadership and retailers to drive efficiencies and service levels across the supply landscape.
This role requires frequent interactions with other Sales, Retailers, Operations teams, Dyson retail, Retail Ops, e-Commerce team, Customer Management teams, 3PL’s, etc.
Key partner on collaborative process improvement projects, and strategy development at all levels and with multiple teams including Dyson retail, e-Commerce, IT, Finance, Multi Brand retail, Global teams.
Dyson’s culture is unique.
Driven, inventive, technology-obsessed and decidedly un-corporate. The mindset is geared to constant challenge. And a global expansion at Dyson’s pace brings constant challenge. It’s not easy or comfortable, but it’s this way of working that drives performance.
Dyson suits people with the courage and resilience to find their own way, spotting opportunities where others don’t, and having the self-belief to persevere where others give up. “Good enough” isn’t good enough.
Experiences are more important than experience. And attitude counts as much as aptitude.
- Build the Company’s supply chain and production strategy and, from that strategy, identify the optimal future state of operations compare to the current state, and prioritize closing the gaps.
- Analyze opportunities, develop and implement strategies and business plans to optimize the customer delivery experience for both the ecommerce and grocery/wholesale channels and reduce costs.
- Build world class supply chain capabilities - systems, processes, policies, and practices.
- Build and develop a great team that challenge themselves to provide excellence in customer service.
- Own the relationship between Sales, Retailers and all 3PL’s (freight forwarder, cross docking operations, outside warehousing, order fulfillment, etc.)
- Builds and maintains strong, positive partnerships with all stakeholders in Operations, Divisions (product leads) and Corporate teams
- Ensures operational adherence to the plan (timely processing and/or flow of orders, adherence to budgets, etc.) and communicates issues impacting product availability and/or financial budgets
- Shares best practices and actively contributes to process improvement; utilizes LEAN methodology (as applicable) through problem solving and process improvement activities
- Represents Ops team at a variety of divisional and/or product related meetings and offers operational expertise/perspective
Focus and deliverables first 6 months. In the 6 months, the Head of Supply Chain with achieve the following:
- Assess current supply chain operations and programs, processes, people, practices, performance and metrics.
- Build the Company’s supply chain strategy and, from that strategy, identify the optimal future state of operations compare to the current state, and prioritize closing the gaps.
- Drive cost improvements across the supply chain through better freight usage and freight rate management.
- Partner in the Commercial Planning project to drive world class demand planning
- Manage inventory that supports supply and demand, ensuring that customer service and levels of performance are at industry standards while minimizing the investment in inventory.
- Develop strong relationships with 3PLs and logistics partners as well as a detailed understanding of their operations.
- Responsible for regular forecasts of demand by product to ensure accurate supplies of finished products.
- Develop strong relationships and networks with global supply chain teams
- Identify key metrics, plan and conduct regular operational and business reviews.
- Lead, build and retain a team of high performing employees.
- Achieve supply chain operational and financial goals including customer delivery.
- Establish her/himself as a key member of the Dyson operations team, supporting, challenging, and inspiring peers and teams.
- BA/BS required, in the area of Supply Chain or related quantitative/business discipline; MBA preferred.
- 10 years’ experience, preferably in consumer electronics or appliance industry and/or an organization with a well-developed Omni channel infrastructure. Retail operations experience required.
- Strong hands on knowledge of all aspects of the Supply Chain – warehousing / distribution center operations, logistics, production, procurement, planning, forecasting, inventory management, etc dealing with complex retailer supply chain requirements.
- 10 plus years of experience in Supply Chain functions, with specific experience in consumer electronics or appliance distribution & order fulfillment, e-Commerce fulfillment (desired), and Omni-channel logistics; 5 plus years of experience in leadership roles; Retail operations and retail inventory management experience required
- Proven track record in conceptualizing and delivering successful logistics solutions, as well as successfully leading efficient day to day operations
- Well-developed financial skills, in particular the ability to develop, manage and optimize budgets
- Proven ability to build operations from the ground up defining and redesigning roles, responsibilities, processes, technology, policies and practices for multiple customer segments.
- Demonstrated ability to operate both strategically and tactically in a high-energy, fast-paced environment.
- Proficient in defining, developing and iterating (customizing) critical supply chain technology systems (e.g. ERP, MRP).
- Experience negotiating contracts and purchasing agreements and managing RFP processes.
- Proven track record of success defining and delivering innovative disruptive ideas to drive long term business results.
- Experience hiring world-class talent, as well as developing and coaching others to achieve their full potential.
- The ability to think and move quickly and inspire his/her team in an environment where continuous innovation is desired.
- Demonstrated analytical and quantitative skills; ability to use hard data and metrics to back up assumptions and develop business cases.
- Experience working with partners at multiple levels within the organization (eCommerce, regulatory, marketing, finance, human resources, legal and other functional groups)
- High degree of organization and ability to manage multiple, competing priorities simultaneously (including demonstrated ability in planning and organizational project management).
- Excellent communication (verbal and written) and collaboration skills that enable you to earn trust at all levels.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, demonstrated ability to listen, negotiate and lead
This executive will have a reputation as a strong leader, team builder and someone who is very good at acquiring and developing great talent; ideally having led large teams. S/he likely has a following and is known as someone people feel proud to work for.
The ideal candidate will be a sharp, seasoned senior leader with a demonstrated history of leading high performing teams. S/he will be a thought leader in supply chain operations management. Direct experience of supply chain operations in consumer consumer electronics or appliances that are omni-channel including eCommerce is highly desirable. The candidate will have a track record of rapidly scaling supply chain operations for a beloved consumer brand. S/he will have managed by leading multi-team organizations but will have maintained the ability to dive deep on operations, vendor negotiations, customer experience, business performance, and organizational capabilities. The successful candidate will be equally comfortable creating business plans, operations management strategy, developing new technology systems, driving large scale initiatives and leading teams.
- Professional traits that are not unique to this position, but necessary for Dyson leaders:
- Exhibits excellent judgment
- Entrepreneurial problem solver
- Vocally self-aware and curious
- Positive attitude and infectious enthusiasm
- Hires great people. Develops great people
- Has relentlessly high standards
- Thinks strategically, but stays on top of tactical execution
- Expects and requires disruptive innovation of her/his team
- Results oriented
- Has the innate ability to inspire passion in others