Health and Safety Advisor - Automotive
- Responsible for executing all health and safety tasks in accordance with Dyson policy under the guidance of the Health & Safety Manager, throughout Dyson’s UK sites.
- This will focus predominantly on the Hullavington and the UK headquarters at Malmesbury.
- Working alongside, and in support of, the other key estates leaders including the Estates Manager, Senior Project Manager, Building Services Manager and the Facilities Manager.
- This role will involve extensive stakeholder interaction and liaison.
- We anticipate that this role will focus on the RDD (Research, Design and Development) side of the business with an emphasis of automotive issues within RDD, however, it will include wider Dyson Group initiatives.
Dyson HQ is home to over 3,500 people who work across a medley of engineering and commercial functions. The award-winning campus has three cafes, a sports centre and a number of engineering icons including our Harrier and Lightning jets – one of which hangs from the ceiling of our café. Based in Malmesbury, the campus is within easy reach of both the Cotswolds and cities like Bath and Bristol along the M4 corridor.
Dyson, whether at the headquarters in Malmesbury or globally, is growing at a rapid pace, and the estates team need to not only anticipate this growth, but also ensure that both new and existing properties are set up, operated and maintained to the expected standard. To create this positive and progressive working environment the estates team needs expertise in key areas – Health & Safety within the Estates Management function is one of these areas.
- Ensure all activities; in particular, research and development initiatives are carried out in accordance with all relevant safety legislation.
- Review, develop and own, all automotive health and safety information, procedures, guidance and ensure these are kept up to date and effectively communicated.
- Auditing; complete programme of audits against health and safety documentation for all RDD labs and test areas.
- Support all RDD Area Owners with preparation of appropriate risk assessments to ensure safety is paramount prior to commencement of testing.
- Review application and control of PPE ensuring it is applicable for the task at hand, sourced, controlled centrally and enforced where necessary.
- Undertake regular lab walk-ins to ensure safe working practices and guidelines are followed.
- Work with lab owners to ensure proposed testing is feasible in their area and provide advice on safety measures to be employed.
- Develop and maintain safe system of works for all staff and contractors where applicable.
- Working with RDD, ensure that all accident/incidents, including near misses are investigated and recorded appropriately.
- Where necessary implement recommendations and influence practices. Working with RDD to ensure that the first aid provision is adequate and meets the needs of the activities and tasks within the division.
- Develop and deliver appropriate training to RDD staff in relating to automotive.
- Develop and deliver health and safety courses to new starters, and existing staff to ensure adequate competency.
- Work within the Health & Safety Team on other projects and topics as appropriate to the needs of the team and Estates Department.
- Qualifications: NEBOSH/IOSH, alternatively at least 2 years’ experience in a similar position within a corporate organisation.
- Experience of technical engineering at an operational level, experience within the automotive industry and/or process driven health and safety environment(s).
- Board experience; knowledge of a wide range of health and safety matters.
- Good communicator; ability to convey health and safety issues concisely and accurately.
- Excellent interpersonal skills; ability to build productive working relationships and influence staff.
- Good analytical skills; to be able to assess problems thoroughly and drive logical conclusions.
- Confident; comfortable with interacting with senior executives where necessary.
- Credible; ability to demonstrate a level of expertise in health and safety in order to gain stakeholder confidence.
- Assertive; prepared to take action where required.
- Ability to deliver training in a clear and concise manner with confidence.
- Good IT skills - proficiency with Microsoft package software.
- Willingness to show initiative.
- 27 days annual leave plus eight statutory bank holidays
- Life assurance
- Performance related bonus
- Pension scheme
- Dyson machine discount
- Sports centre
- Subsidized cafe and restaurants