Human Resources Internship
$ confidential + housing stipend
Chicago, San Francisco
PRIORITY APPLICATION DEADLINE: September 23, 2017
APPLICATION CLOSING DEADLINE: October 21, 2017
PROGRAM START: May/June 2018
PROGRAM END: August 2018
By 2020, Dyson will add new product categories and over 100 products to our portfolio – taking us far beyond the vacuums that started the company more than 20 years ago. What remains the same is our innovative culture, entrepreneurial spirit, and focus on wrong thinking that makes us who we are. At Dyson, we never stop transforming – our technologies and ourselves. And we’re looking for emerging leaders across our functions that are eager to learn by doing – not by watching.
Dyson’s Summer Internship Program is a chance for rising seniors and graduate students (those completing their programs in 2019) at accredited US colleges and universities to join what Fast Company has called one of The Most Innovative Companies in the World. Our internships are different - it’s one of the reasons we were ranked one of the Top 100 Internship Programs in the Country in 2017 – and you will have the opportunity to show your skills and make contributions that impact our owners, our people and our global business.
Dyson’s Human Resources team is looking for energetic, collaborate, analytical and dynamic interns to join our talent acquisition, operations, learning & development and talent management teams next summer. This role will be based out of our brand-new US Headquarters in Chicago or one of our regional zones across the country (San Francisco and New York City). Our Americas team is going through an unprecedented reinvention and our Human Resources team is preparing the organization to double its footprint in the next 3 years. From scaling our infrastructure to bringing in top talent, expanding our learning and development function to enhancing our culture, there is no shortage of work to be done and impact to be made in this growing function.
What to expect from Dyson’s Summer Internship Program:
- We believe people should be paid for their work. Interns are no exception - these are full-time, paid internships including a housing stipend to spend the summer in Chicago if you are from outside of the Chicagoland area.
- The program will run for approximately 10-12 weeks (May/June - August 2018), and flexible based on academic calendars)
- Lunch and learns from Dyson leaders on our business, our strategy, and more!
- Special intern-only outings and trainings
- Leadership opportunities
- A brand-new US Headquarters office in Chicago, IL
- Feedback from your manager, both during the program, and a summer-end recap to make sure you get the most of your time at Dyson
Dyson moves fast and no two days will be the same. Here are some highlights you can expect of your internship:
- onboarding – learning the fundamentals of our products, people and strategy.
- – shadow, learn and support the day-to-day of your function while making real contributions, learning new skills, and challenging you to begin driving your internship.
- : intro to your mission – work side-by-side with team members or other interns on large-scale projects or be assigned a functional project to lead yourself from beginning to end.
- – you will be expected to drive real projects forward and find new ways to contribute and grow as a leader. Through leadership trainings, skills challenges and day-to-day learning, you’ll grow by doing.
- – participate in design thinking workshops with the James Dyson Foundation and lead initiatives in our communities to help inspire the next generation of engineers.
Dyson is a global technology company. Using a desire to make things work better as a catalyst for invention, our team of 3,000 engineers and scientists are passionate about developing technology that solves the problems others often ignore. From the world’s first bagless vacuum cleaner, to hand dryers that use 420mph sheets of air to remove moisture from hands, to a completely re-thought hair dryer with its motor in the handle, we are relentless about engineering better solutions. Dyson spends $8.8 million a week on research and development and works with more than 40 universities worldwide to develop early-stage technologies.
Dyson launched in the US in 2002, with the DC07 vacuum cleaner. Within 2 years, it was market share leader. Now, the US team is nearly 1,000 strong, with offices in Chicago, IL; Aurora, IL; San Francisco, CA; and Dyson people around the entire country. And we are still growing. Dyson US is poised to double its footprint, and take on new categories. Already a target for our competitors, challenging times are ahead. And our battle-hungry US team is fired up.
Our Human Resources team is responsible for silently architecting our culture. At Dyson, the quality of its people is its life blood, which means talent is always at the top of the agenda. This is a great opportunity for the right individual to join who is optimistic and always ready to make a difference in our growing organization. We’re experiencing unprecedented growth across the Americas, and we are looking for exceptional team members who will assist us in achieving our business objectives and contribute to Dyson’s trailblazing story.
You won’t just be an intern, you’ll be a key member of the Dyson team. You can expect to be tasked with project(s) that capitalize on your existing skills and stretch you out of your comfort zone. The variety of business-critical projects means that no two roles will be alike, but you could expect some of the following responsibilities:
- Support the day-to-day HR responsibilities of the Americas market, working in Talent Acquisition, HR Operations, Learning and Development, and/or Employee Relations functions
- Build relationships with key stakeholders across functions
- Support field-based employees and ensure access to resources, tools, and answers to their questions
- Contribute to new hire orientation and early-career learning programs
- Ensure compliance and organization of employee records
- Collaborate with internal stakeholders in nearly all departments across the Americas
- Contribute to competitive compensation benchmarking and industry intelligence by providing summaries of key findings and trends to stakeholders
- Contribute to employer branding campaigns and recruiting needs for the business
- Support back-end systems, including our HRIS, ATS, ADP, legacy systems and others
- Support development and deployment of learning, development, and incentive initiatives across the organization
- Assess risks and opportunities for new benefits, rewards, policies, and procedures
- Enhance processes and workflows
- Contribute to a multitude of projects that emerge in a fast-paced environment
- Become an expert in Dyson products and the way we portray our brand
- Work with fellow interns and US Leadership Team on cross-functional project, presented to key stakeholders throughout the program
- Rising undergraduate senior or graduate student (expected to graduate in Spring 2019)
- Some business knowledge through coursework and/or other internship experiences
- Willing to relocate to Chicago or wherever this program may take you for the summer
- Ability to analyze and translate data-based findings into clear, relevant and actionable insights, or have a deep desire to further develop these skills
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- Proven ability to work autonomously and drive projects forward
- Experience working in cross-functional teams
- Detail oriented with excellent oral and written skills; the ability to interface effectively with key stakeholders at every level of the business
- Proven ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Curiosity and a deep desire to learn
- Process-oriented thinker
- Education curriculum focused in human resources, psychology, organizational development, or related concentration
- Strong project management skills
- Intermediate to advanced skills with MS office and Outlook
- Previous internship experience in talent development, human resources operations, talent acquisition, or talent management
Dyson US ensures that our benefits allow you to make the most out of your life and career at Dyson. Dyson’s benefits take a holistic approach in order to serve our employees. But financial rewards or benefits are not at the core of what our employees receive. Rapid professional growth, leadership development and new opportunities abound, driven by regular reviews and dynamic workshops are also available to Dyson employees. And with Dyson being an equal opportunity employer that also possesses a vibrant culture, the latest devices and a relaxed dress code reflecting our engineering spirit, it’s an exciting team environment geared towards fueling and realizing every employees’ ambition.